GARBAGE DEAL ON HOLD
South Glengarry may have to temporarily extend its garbage contract for the second time since last fall after council rejected a half-million-dollar, four-year tender last week.
“I don’t like the fact that we’re at the 21st of May and we’re approving a $500,000 contract that takes effect in 10 or 11 days (June 1),” said Deputy-Mayor Lyle Warden. “It bothers me. I just feel that this should have been dealt with last month or the month before.”
Councillor Stephanie Jaworski was also leery of awarding the contract. “It’s one of our bigger spends.. so I’d be in favour of deferring,” she said.
The municipality received two tenders by the closing date of May 9, with a mere $1,000 separating the offers tendered by HGC Management ($468,000 plus HST) and E360 Environmental Solutions ($467,000 plus HST). HGC is the current service provider.
Separate pricing for weekly waste collection on Hamilton’s Island – at costs of $5,844 and $4,000, respectively – were also included. However, the cost for Hamilton’s Island service is charged to the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne (MCA).
The administration recommended to award the contract, which would have commenced on June 1, 2019 and ended May 31, 2023, to E360. Ewen MacDonald, the township’s general manager of infrastructure services, said the firm is relatively new, having only been established last November. Nonetheless, the company comes with good recommendations.
“They have a contract with the City of Cornwall, and with the City of Kenora,” said Mr. MacDonald. “I spoke to both of those jurisdictions and although they haven’t had a whole lot of experience with E360, their references were quite good.”
He added that “it is also somewhat comforting to know that their employees, and staff are formerly from a previous contractor that had done work in South Glengarry, so they know the routes.”
The Toronto-based company has operations in Alberta communities, including Calgary, Edmonton and Medicine Hat, and counts Hockey Hall of Famer Paul Coffey as its most prominent investment partner.
Despite these credentials, council opted to
defer the contract, instructing Mr. MacDonald to seek an another extension with HGC, or work out an interim agreement with E360.
“The old contract expired in November,” explained Mr. MacDonald. “I had extended it for six months and advised council of that at that time because of the election and moving that forward. So we could see if they would provide us with another extension for three to six months, to give us an opportunity to really review this, and then re-tender.”
Mr. MacDonald added that seeking a similarly-termed contract with E360 may also merit consideration. “We will have to look at the options,” he said.
Mr. Warden would also like to see the garbage bag limit debate rekindled before making the longterm service commitment. “I think that needs to take place. The new council needs to have a discussion on that I feel that it’s time again,” he said. In 2015, Mr. MacDonald pointed out that a bag limit had been identified as a “priority and future initiative” in the municipality’s 2012 Waste Recycling Strategy.
He had called for the imposition of a two-bag limit – typical in municipalities across the province – three months earlier, explaining that the township had “enforced an unwritten” eight-bag per household limit for some time.
Council ultimately rejected a proposed two-bag quota in September 2016, and the subject wasn’t broached again until the recent meeting.
When Mr. Warden stated last week that the issue should be brought before council once again, Mr. MacDonald replied that he had come to council “a number of times about bag limits and there has been no appetite for them, whatsoever.”
The deputy-mayor responded that the new council members elected last fall hadn’t had their say on the matter.
“Fair enough, but I didn’t see that there was any interest in that in the past,” reiterated Mr. MacDonald.