Archives funds sought
North Glengarry council has officially filed for Trillium funding for the new Glengarry County Archives building at 28 Kenyon Street East in Alexandria.
Although the Archives had been planning on applying, the Ontario Trillium Foundation informed them that they were not eligible to do so and that one of its partner municipalities had to file the application.
As South Glengarry was already planning on applying for this year, the ball fell in North Glengarry’s court. As the application deadline was June 12, council dealt with the matter swiftly at its June 10 meeting.
”A collaborative agreement with North Glengarry, the County Archives and South Glengarry will also be drafted and circulated to all parties,” promised North Glengarry CAO Sarah Huskinson. “This collaborative agreement is required for the application and was already planned to be drafted for the archives building project.”
Earlier this year, North and South Glengarry council agreed to split the $140,000 price tag to acquire the new site. However, North Glengarry is only applying for $32,000 which will help make the building more accessible.
County Archivist Allan J. MacDonald says the funds would be used to install a ramp, power door for public access and a barrier-free washroom.
The building itself was built in the late 1830s – there was an older building on the site that burned down in 1835.
At one time, it was the home of Colonel Angus Macdonell, nephew of Bishop Alexander Macdonell, for whom the town of Alexandria is named. The building was later acquired by the Knights of Columbus in the 1920s and was altered half a century later to be used as hall for the organization.
The Archives project, which includes a move from its current location in Glengarry District High School, also involves an extensive renovation of the new building.