Landmarks to be improved under CIP
North Glengarry has approved Community Improvement Plan (CIP) funding for two iconic county buildings, one in Maxville and the other in Alexandria.
The owners of Munro & Morris Funeral Home, located at 20 Main St., Maxville, will receive $8,920 in grants, plus a $10,000 municipal loan. The latter will be drawn from the township’s operating reserves.
The lion’s share of the grant will go to improving the building’s front façade. This will include replacing the façade with beige vertically-installed vinyl siding, adding awning and trim, replacing a second storey door with a window and installing pot lights in the new awning. Contractors for this work will be M&L 20-20 Holdings and McDonald Electric.
The CIP covers 50 per cent of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $5,000. Since the building improvements would cost an estimated total of nearly $25,000, the maximum amount for that particular project has been reached.
The funeral home will also receive $2,000 to upgrade its commercial signage. Alexandriabased Significo will provide a 2x16 sign with raised gold letters and McDonald Electric will supply the lighting for the signage. The total amount for that phase comes in at nearly $5,100; $2,000 is the maximum amount available through the signage program. The CIP program will also provide $170 for a bench with logo and another $1,000 for a stained glass window that will show four-hearts squared Celtic Love Knot. Contractors for the respective projects are Pye Property and Northern Art Glass. Additionally, it will provide a maximum of $750 for building permit fees.
The township also approved CIP grants and a loan for the Garry Fen – one of Alexandria’s oldest buildings – located at 2 Ottawa St. It was the home of D. A. MacDonald, who served as Glengarry MP from 1857 until 1875 and then as the province’s Lieutenant-Governor from 18751880.
The CIP will fund almost $5,000 for the renovation work, which will involve leveling the veranda, replacing various wooden boards and planks, replacing the existing veranda columns, and repainting. According to township notes, the colours will be as close to the historical colours as possible – in this case Peale Green and Golden Honey from Benjamin Moore. Contractors for this project include Dan Long, J. Wilkie & Son, and Gilles R. Mayer Sanitation.
The CIP will also provide a civic sign for the property and fund a permit fee grant up to $750.
Altogether, the CIP funding would be $5,748.50. The township will also loan $6,498.50 for the project.