Young man es­capes house fire

Fire­fight­ers bat­tle blaze on Portage Road in Oys­ter Bed Bridge dur­ing snow­storm

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - The Province -

OYS­TER BED BRIDGE — A young man was lucky to es­cape with lit­tle more than the clothes on his back and his pet dog af­ter his home caught fire on Mon­day.

New Glasgow fire chief Robert Gal­lant said fire­fight­ers were busy at a blaze on Portage Road Mon­day morn­ing at ap­prox­i­mately 11:30 in Oys­ter Bed Bridge, ham­pered by a fierce snow­storm.

“It was re­ally dirty out there,” said Gal­lant.

With the help of RCMP, crews blocked off a stretch of High­way 6 at Portage Road to pre­vent fire­fight­ers’ ve­hi­cles from be­ing hit by mo­torists, blinded by the swirling snow.

Twenty-five fire­fight­ers and five trucks an­swered the call at 11:30 a.m. but were un­able to save the home. “It was flat­tened,” said Gal­lant. The owner lives off-Is­land and had been con­tacted.

The young man who rented the house, be­lieved to be in his 20s, soon found a place to live for him­self and his pet — his mother’s home on the same road.

The fire is be­ing de­scribed as ac­ci­den­tal, its source be­lieved to be a kerosene heater. The young man was work­ing in the garage when the fire started. Fire of­fi­cials re­mind peo­ple that when fu­el­ing th­ese heaters and gen­er­a­tors to en­sure the ap­pli­ance is turned off and al­lowed to cool be­fore re­fu­el­ing.

Photo cour­tesy of Kevin Hynes

Fire which broke out Mon­day at ap­prox­i­mately 11 a.m. de­stroyed this house in Oys­ter Bed Bridge. New Glasgow fire depart­ment was un­able to save the house. The man rent­ing the house man­aged to get out safely. Some all-ter­rain ve­hi­cles and snow­mo­biles...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.