Young man escapes house fire
Firefighters battle blaze on Portage Road in Oyster Bed Bridge during snowstorm
OYSTER BED BRIDGE — A young man was lucky to escape with little more than the clothes on his back and his pet dog after his home caught fire on Monday.
New Glasgow fire chief Robert Gallant said firefighters were busy at a blaze on Portage Road Monday morning at approximately 11:30 in Oyster Bed Bridge, hampered by a fierce snowstorm.
“It was really dirty out there,” said Gallant.
With the help of RCMP, crews blocked off a stretch of Highway 6 at Portage Road to prevent firefighters’ vehicles from being hit by motorists, blinded by the swirling snow.
Twenty-five firefighters and five trucks answered the call at 11:30 a.m. but were unable to save the home. “It was flattened,” said Gallant. The owner lives off-Island and had been contacted.
The young man who rented the house, believed to be in his 20s, soon found a place to live for himself and his pet — his mother’s home on the same road.
The fire is being described as accidental, its source believed to be a kerosene heater. The young man was working in the garage when the fire started. Fire officials remind people that when fueling these heaters and generators to ensure the appliance is turned off and allowed to cool before refueling.
Fire which broke out Monday at approximately 11 a.m. destroyed this house in Oyster Bed Bridge. New Glasgow fire department was unable to save the house. The man renting the house managed to get out safely. Some all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles...