Date for de­ci­sion in sex­ual as­sault trial moved to Jan. 28

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - THE ISLAND -

A 62-year-old man fac­ing 17 charges re­lated to al­leged sex of­fences is wait­ing one month longer than first sched­uled to learn his fate.

Leo Arnold Dowl­ing was ini­tially slated to ap­pear last month in P.E.I. Supreme Court be­fore Jus­tice Nancy Key to hear her de­ci­sion, but the date has been moved to Jan. 28.

Dowl­ing is charged with of­fences that in­clude al­le­ga­tions of so­cial in­ter­fer­ence, in­de­cent as­sault, sex­ual as­sault and in­vi­ta­tion to sex­ual touch­ing.

Dur­ing the trial, the court heard tes­ti­mony about Dowl­ing that in­cluded al­le­ga­tions of him putting his hand in­side a com­plainant’s shirt to touch her chest and touch­ing a vic­tim’s vagina through her cloth­ing.

He de­nied the al­le­ga­tions.

Dur­ing her sub­mis­sions in Novem­ber, Crown at­tor­ney Va­lerie Moore said the com­plainants’ ev­i­dence was com­pelling, de­tailed and con­sis­tent. None of the ev­i­dence in the case raises rea­son­able doubt, she said.

De­fence lawyer Scott Barry said in his sub­mis­sions that the ev­i­dence of each com­plainant needs to be able to stand up on its own when it comes to the bur­den of proof. In crim­i­nal cases, the Crown must prove the of­fence be­yond a rea­son­able doubt. Barry said the Crown failed to do so.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.