Speech from the throne 2018
The speech delivered by Lt.-Gov. Frank Fagan at the House of Assembly on Tuesday opened the third session in the 48th General Assembly.
The speech has committed the provincial government to:
• Offer its own apology to residential school survivors.
• Amend the Family Violence Protection Act to include psychological, emotional or financial abuse.
• Review the provincial environmental assessment process, with follow-up legislation.
• Renew the existing cultural plan by January 2019.
• Get new streams running under the Provincial Nominee Program.
• Develop a mineral strategy to “guide future growth.”
• Introduce legislation related to public health and safety, ahead of the legalization of recreational cannabis.
• Host an Inclusion Symposium.
• Propose a new Public Health Act.
• Replace the Waterford Hospital.
• Add more primary health care teams.
• Implement the home-first approach to seniors’ care.
• Release an Education Action Plan, responding to the premier’s task force on educational outcomes.