Electrical fire toasts Subway sandwich shop
No one hurt in Wednesday fire near Oakville border
BURLINGTON — Roughly $500,000 damage was caused by an electrical fire at a Subway sandwich shop near the Burlington-Oakville border on Wednesday night.
Firefighters from both Burlington and Oakville were called to the blaze that broke out in the restaurant’s storage area at the strip plaza on Burloak Drive, south of Harvester Road, at about 8 p.m. Heavy black smoke was seen upon arrival, with crews knocking down the fire within 20 minutes after a fast attack.
Aside from the damage to Subway, adjoining units on either side — including a nail salon, Chinese restaurant and Montfort restaurant — sustained significant smoke damage.
No injuries were suffered by either the employees or firefighters, according to the Oakville platoon chief.
Burloak Drive was closed while firefighters had hoses across the street to battle the fire.
Oakville and Burlington firefighters battled a fire inside the Subway sandwich shop on Burloak Drive south of Harvester Road, with heavy smoke visible upon arrival on Wednesday night.