Stony Plain/ Spruce Grove/ Enoch RCMP remind public to not leave running vehicles unattended
Stony Plain/ Spruce Grove/ Enoch RCMP want to remind the public to not leave their vehicles unattended while they are running.
As the weather gets colder, the RCMP are urging citizens to be careful when warming up their vehicles. Vehicles that are left running and unlocked outside of homes, coffee shops, or even gas stations make easy targets for criminals. It takes less then 30 seconds for someone to sit in the driver’s seat and take off. These vehicle thefts are crimes of opportunity and are often preventable.
The following advice is provided by the Stony Plain RCMP to help prevent vehicle theft and reduce crime:
1. Do not leave vehicles running. If you must leave it running, consider using a club-like device or a remote starter to deter thieves.
2. Lock your vehicle. Most vehicle thefts and thefts from vehicles occur to vehicles that are left unlocked.
3. Remove all valuables from your vehicle. Out of sight, out of mind approach.
4. Report any suspicious activity you might see in your neighbourhood. This is an excellent way to help reduce crime within the community.
5. Try to park your vehicle in well-lit areas. Turn on your residential exterior lights and help light up the area.
If you have information about any crime, please call the Stony Plain/ Spruce Grove/ Enoch RCMP at 780-968-7267 or call your local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), by internet at www.tipsubmit. com, or by SMS (check your local Crime Stoppers www.crimestoppers. ab.ca for instructions).