Would a mu­nic­i­pal po­lice force make Sur­rey safer ?

The Miracle - - National & Int -

Sur­rey’s mayor-elect is adamant that he will de­liver on his cam­paign pledge to re­place the RCMP with a ded­i­cated mu­nic­i­pal po­lice force, but crit­ics of the plan are rais­ing con­cerns about how much the tran­si­tion would cost, how long it could take and if it would ul­ti­mately im­prove safety in a city plagued by gun vi­o­lence. “It will cost us a lit­tle bit more money for our po­lice force, but the peo­ple of Sur­rey tell us very clearly they’re will­ing to pay a lit­tle more to make their com­mu­nity safe,” Doug McCal­lum told CTV News ear­lier this week. McCal­lum cited the fact that the city al­ready owns much of the equip­ment and in­fra­struc­ture used by Moun­ties, in­clud­ing ve­hi­cles and com­mu­nity po­lice sta­tions, and staff with the Cana­dian Union of Pub­lic Em­ploy­ees al­ready run much of the ad­min­is­tra­tive side. The fed­eral govern­ment, he added, only pays 10 per cent of po­lice of­fi­cers’ salaries, while the city cov­ers the other 90 per cent. But an­other Metro Van­cou­ver mu­nic­i­pal­ity that has con­sid­ered such a tran­si­tion said the move would likely cost more than just “a lit­tle bit more” and would be more com­plex than McCal­lum has made it out to be. “We have one-third of the size of a de­tach­ment that Sur­rey has, so if it’s go­ing to cost us $19 mil­lion to $20 mil­lion dol­lars in tran­si­tional costs, how much is it go­ing to cost Sur­rey?” said Richmond Mayor Mal­colm Brodie, who was re-elected Satur­day. Source: bc.ctvnews.ca

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.