To submit an item for the community calendar, email email@example.com or drop it off at The News, 352 East River Rd., New Glasgow. Deadline for submissions is the Tuesday before Thursday’s publication date.
• Classic Country Music Jam – every Tueday at Lourdes Hall, 6:309 p.m. Light lunch served, 50/50 draw. $5 at the door – no fee for players. Info: Bernie McCarron, 902-928-0426.
• Card party - every Monday, 7:30 p.m., in MacPherson’s Mills Community Centre. Light lunch served.
• Stellarton Legion Chase the Ace – weekly Friday nights at 9 p.m. Tickets for sale daily in the lounge up to 8:30 p.m. on Friday. Tickets $5 for four. You do not need to be present to win.
• Hunters Breakfast – Saturdays, 6:30-10 a.m. Springville Church Hall, Oct. 20-Dec. 8
• Jam Session – all singers, players, toe tappers and hummers are welcome at the jam sessions in the Durham Community Hall Wednesday evenings, 7-9 p.m. Shared lunch. Silver collection.
• Art in the Hall 4 – until Dec. 7, 2018. This is the fourth in a series of rotating installations of art by Pictou County artists. Curated by the Art At Large Collective, this show features six new and emerging artists. Free admission to view the show. Museum of Industry, Stellarton.
• Kid’s section – Lego Builders Club at the Museum of Industry Stellarton, Tuesdays 3 to 4 p.m. Ages five older. Free admission, no preregistration required.
• Families Matter in Mental Health – 11-week group program starting Oct. 25 from 6-8 p.m. Education, support, coping, strategies for family and friends. For confidential registration, contact Sherry Blinkhorn at 902-759-2557 or blink@ ns.sympatico.ca.
• Hooked on Trucks – at the Museum of Industry until Nov 16. A special display of rugs by the Rug Hooking Guild of Nova Scotia, complemented by an array of toy trucks from the Nova Scotia Museum collection and model trucks made available by private collectors and the Nova Scotia Trucking Safety Association. Open Mon.-Sat., 9-5 p.m. and Sun. 10-5 p.m.
• Poppy Campgain – at Westville Legion, 1-3 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. every day until Nov. 10. To order wreaths or crosses call 902-396-3742 or 902396-6274.
• Westville Legion Special Meeting – 7:30 p.m. All members encouraged to attend.
• Auction 45s – at Trenton Legion, 7 p.m.
• Nova Scotia Youth Wind Ensemble – Performing at North Nova Education Centre at 7 p.m. NSYWE is Nova Scotia’s provincial honours wind ensemble for young musicians from across Nova Scotia, ranging in age from junior high school to university. Admission freewill donation at the door.
• IODE Bag Sale – 12-4 p.m. behind New Glasgow Fire Hall.
• Nova Scotia Works Centre Open House – from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 138 Campbell St., New Glasgow. The centre helps job seekers with career planning, job searches and on-thejob development as well assisting employers with recruitment, planning and human resources support. Light refreshments will be served.
• Aberdeen Hospital Alumnae Association – meeting will be held at 1:30 p.m. in the North End Rec Center.
Nov. 1 and 2
• Westville Curling Club Registration –7-9 p.m. New curlers welcome.
• Live Music – at Trenton Legion with Dennis and Bud, 8 p.m.-close.
• Pot Luck Supper – at Salem United Church, River John, from 4-6 p.m. (or sold out) Adult, $10 or child, $5. Sponsored by the Board of Stewards.
• Seafood Chowder Supper – will be held at the Toney River Community Hall, beginning at 4 p.m. Cost: $10, includes dessert. Eat in or take-out.
• Christmas Coffee Party – at First Presbyterian Church Hall, Prince Street, Pictou. 10 a.m. -12 p.m. Pantry table, crafts, new-to-you table and more.
• Scotsburn United Church Fall Pancake Breakfast – 8-10:30 a.m. at Scotsburn United Church, Scotsburn. Pancakes with local maple syrup, whipped cream and blueberry sauce, maple sausage, homemade baked beans, juice, tea and coffee. Gluten free option available. $10/ adult, $5/child, under 5 yrs free.
• Turkey Dinner and Sale – at St. Paul United Church hall, Church St., Westville. Adults and take outs $13. Children $5. Sale starts at 3:30 p.m. and supper at 4 p.m.
• Auction 45’s – at Trenton Legion at 1 p.m.
• SBI 4-H Club – is having a bottle drive beginning at 9 a.m. starting at Sunny Brae through to Springville and River Road. For more info call Brenda Sharpe at 902-923-2197.
• Calvin Ladies Aid Tea and Sale – at IOOF Hall in Sunny Brae from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Adults $4 and children $2. Craft/pantry/new to you tables, also grab bags.
• Chase the Ace at Trenton Legion – sponsored by Trenton Fire Department and Br. #29 from 2-4 p.m. Advance tickets available from Mon.-Sat. at our regular vendors. Complete list is on our Facebook page. Jackpot starting at $11,837and draw will be shortly after 4 p.m. on Sunday. Karaoke to follow with KGB Ent. until 9 p.m. There will be no Chase the Ace next Sunday due to Remembrance Day.
• 83rd Annual Pictou County Memorial Day Parade and Service – sponsored by Zone 6 of the Royal Canadian Legion, to be held at the County War Memorial in Pictou. The parade will form on George Street at 2 p.m. and move off for the cenotaph at 2:15 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, the service will be held at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church.
• Annual Hip of Beef Dinner – 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at the Mini Trail Community Centre, Route 337 in Lakevale, Antigonish County. Adults $20; children $8. Take out available. For advance, tickets call 902-8705528. Tickets may also be purchased at the door on the day of the event.
• Cemetery Meeting – hosted by the French River Cemetery Society of Pictou County at the French River Hall at 3 p.m.
• 32nd Arisaig Christmas Bazaar – 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Arisag Hall, Highway 245. Over 25 vendors, canteen and silent auction. Santa visit at 1 p.m.
• Niki Venoit in Concert – 7:30 p.m. at Green Hill-Alma United Church. Admission: $10 or what you can afford. Part of the Monday Music in Alma Fall Concert Series.
• Prize Bingo Night – 7 p.m. at Valley View Villa. Cost: $10 a book. For more info contact Cathy Ryan at 902-755-5780 ext 6.
• Aberdeen Hospital Auxiliary meeting – at 12:30 p.m. at the first floor boardroom of the Aberdeen Hospital.
• Potluck Supper – First Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, 4 p.m. until sold out, take out available. Adults $10.
• We Remember – a tour of the Pictou County Military Museum with David Avery, 2:30–3:30 p.m. Avery will share his knowledge of some local military heroes.
• Christmas Tea and Sale – sponsored by St. John the Baptist Catholic Women’s League, corner of High Street and John Street, New Glasgow from 7-9 p.m. Admission $5 for adults and $2 for children.
• Friday Fun Night – at Westville Curling Club in support of local food bank. Bring an item for the food bank. Curling, social and snacks are free.
• Remembrance Day Service – at Eureka Cenotaph at 11 a.m. All welcome.
• Glencoe Remembrance Day Service – at the Glencoe Community Hall at 2:30 p.m., 957 East River East Side Rd., Glencoe.
• Sunny Brae Remembrance Day Service – at the Sunny Brae Veteran’s Memorial in Sunny Brae, 2 p.m. Guest speaker Tim Houston, N.S. PC leader. Light lunch and reception to follow in IOOF Hall in Sunny Brae. Admission free. If weather is inclement, the service will be held in the Calvin Presbyterian Church in Sunny Brae.
Nov. 16 and 17
• Christmas Craft Shoppe – at Mill Brook Community Club, Pictou County, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days. Admission $2. Cash or Visa only. Large selection of hand crafted items and pantry table. Door prize is Christmas tree donated by Nelson’s Tree Farm.
• Cape Breton-Style Square Dance – at the Plymouth Community Centre. Come to listen or come to dance. Music by Heather Cameron, Lorna Kennedy, and Fhinn Timmons. Beginners lesson at 6:30 p.m. led by Irene Endicott. Dance begins at 7 p.m. $5 or by donation
• Community Luncheon – at Westville Salvation Army, 11:30 a.m.1 p.m.
• Annual Christmas Tea and Sale – St. Bees’ Church Hall, Westville, 2-4 p.m. Serving chicken a la king, desert, tea or coffee. Bake and newto-you tables. Admission: $8/person.
• Roast Beef Dinner and Dessert Table – St. George’s Anglican Church, Temperance Street, New Glasgow. Adults $12, children under 12 $6. Eat-in or take-out. Tickets: Church office: 902-752-4551, Gerry at 902-752-1297 or at the door.
• Christmas Tea and Sale – at Pictou United Church, 47 James St., 2-4 p.m. Baked goods, hand-crafted items, books, new-to-you and more. Afternoon tea, sandwiches and sweets. Tickets $8.
Nov. 17 and 18
• Christmas Craft and Bake Fair – at the Northumberland Fisheries Museum, located on the Pictou Waterfront, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days. Admission: $2.
• Christmas Tea and Pantry Sale – at Valley View Villa, 7–8:30 p.m. Cost: $5.
Nov. 23 and 30
• Trauma Informed Training – with Dale Gruchy, hosted by MORPH, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. both days. Workshop will provide training for the basics of Trauma Informed Support, Trauma Informed documentation, and intensive/advanced Trauma Informed - beyond Mental Health First Aid training. The training is $40 per person for the two days, lunch included. Held at Summer Street Industries located at 72 Park St., New Glasgow. For info on how to register, contact MORPH at 902-755-4647 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hannah and The Boys – presented by Union Presbyterian Church, at the church, 7 p.m. Freewill offering. All proceeds to the roof fund.
• Christmas Tea and Sale – held by the Blue Mountain & District Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary at the fire hall. Sandwiches, sweets and tea, coffee or juice as well as pantry table and more. There will also be vendor tables. Info: Nancy Webb at 902-922-3193. Admission: adults $7, children $3.