To submit an item for the community calendar, e-mail [email protected] ngnews.ca or drop it off at The News, 352 East River Road, New Glasgow. Deadline for submissions is the Tuesday before Thursday’s publication date.
• Gamblers Anonymous – Gamblers Anonymous meeting held every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Trinity United Church, 151 Temperance Street, New Glasgow, N.S. (side door by office). Do you or someone you know have a gambling problem? Want to stop? We can help!
• Classic Country Music Jam, every Tueday at Lourdes Hall, 6:30 to 9 p.m. Light lunch served, 50/50 draw. $5 at the door – no fee for players. For more information contact Bernie McCarron, (902) 928-0426
• Stellarton Legion Chase the Ace – weekly Friday Nights at 9 p.m. Tickets for sale daily in the lounge up to 8:30 pm on Friday. Tickets $5 for 4. You do not need to be present to win.
• Jam Session – All singers, players, toe tappers and hummers are welcome at the jam sessions in the Durham Community Hall Wednesday evenings 7-9 p.m. Shared lunch. Silver collection.
• Kid’s section – Lego Builders Club at the Museum of Industry Stellarton, Tuesdays 3 to 4 p.m. Ages
5 & older. Free admission, no preregistration required.
• Self Esteem Workshop – Tuesdays Jan. 8 through Feb. 26 at the Ward 1 Rec Centre in New Glasgow, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Hosted by the Pictou County Women’s Resource and Sexual Assault Centre. January 12
• Pictou County Old Time Gospel Concert – 7 p.m. at North Nova Education Centre. Free admission, door prizes, great music. Storm date Jan. 19.
• Canadian Blood Services Clinic –
Pictou Armouries, 5 p.m.-8 p.m.
• Alma Fire Department AGM –
8 p.m. at the station.
January 16 and 17
• Korean Cuisine Two-Day Fundraiser – at Pictou Lunch Box, 2521 Highway 376, Lyon’s Brook. 50 percent of the ticket sales will be donated to St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, New Glasgow, Organ Restoration Fund. Tickets $15 for Wednesday, Jan. 16th or for Thursday, Jan. 17th. Ticket holders choose anytime between 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. or 4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Ticket price includes - one menu entrée (your choice), cookies and tea, coffee or soda. For tickets or information call Betty 902-759-8564.
• Canadian Blood Services Clinic – New Glasgow – Summer Street Industries, Wednesday, 12 p.m. 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.- 8 p.m. Thursday, 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. & 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
• Pictou County Prostate Cancer Support Association – monthly meeting, 7 p.m. in the UCT Building behind Summer Street Industries on Park Street New Glasgow. The public is invited to attend. The building is wheelchair accessible. A social time will follow.
• Drawing Workshop – with Katlynn MacIntosh for teens and tweens, 4 p.m. - 5 p.m., Westville Library, 2042 Queen St #3, Westville.
• Smelt Brook Ravine Trail Hike – Hike Nova Scotia and the Cape to Cape Committee of Pictou County Trails Association present a guided hike or snowshoe on the Smelt Brook Ravine Trail in Trenton at 10 am. You must pre-register at jd[email protected] or 902-2374858. Qualify to win a trail prize. See www.hikenovascotia.ca for details.
• Puppet Show – at Pictou library, 10:30 a.m.
• Book Folding – 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., New Glasgow Public Library, 182 Dalhousie Street, New Glasgow. All supplies are provided. (Children under the age of 12 will require parental assistance.) This month we’ll be ‘folding books’ into beautiful decorative bird cages.
• Family Literacy Day – at Pictou library, 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Hedgeville Footpath Hike –
Hike Nova Scotia and the Cape to Cape Committee of Pictou County Trails Association present a guided hike or snowshoe on the Hedgeville Footpath in Pictou County at 9:30 am. You must pre-register at elainefal[email protected] or 902-396-8941.