Over­dose vic­tim be­comes fa­mil­iar face to RCMP

The Prince George Citizen - - Front Page - Mark NIELSEN Ci­ti­zen staff mnielsen@pgc­i­t­i­zen.ca

A good Sa­mar­i­tan is be­ing cred­ited with help­ing to save the life of a man who had over­dosed at a Prince Ge­orge mo­tel.

Called late Friday night to the 1600-block of Queensway, RCMP ar­rived to find a mem­ber of the pub­lic work­ing to re­vive the sub­ject in one of the rooms.

Po­lice sus­pect the sub­ject had been us­ing some kind of opi­ate – heroin, fen­tanyl or a com­bi­na­tion of the two – with an­other man who fled af­ter telling the Sa­mar­i­tan what had hap­pened.

The of­fi­cer took over un­til paramedics ar­rived and the man, who had not been breath­ing, was re­vived and taken to hos­pi­tal.

“It is clear that the ac­tions of this man and the of­fi­cer saved the male’s life,” Prince Ge­orge RCMP said.

The story doesn’t end there.

Over the next sev­eral hours, the sub­ject was the source of four more calls to po­lice.

At about 3:15 a.m., RCMP were dis­patched to a Red­wood Street home where they found the man, heav­ily in­tox­i­cated and bang­ing on the door. He was ar­rested for caus­ing a dis­tur­bance and once again taken to hos­pi­tal for treat­ment.

Then, just af­ter 9 a.m., RCMP were once again called to the same home to find the same man bang­ing on the door, only this time he was sober, po­lice said. He was told he was not wel­come at the address and not to re­turn un­less in­vited.

But about five hours later, RCMP were called to the home one more time and found the same man nearby. How­ever, the home’s oc­cu­pants re­fused to pro­vide state­ments to sup­port crim­i­nal charges.

Fi­nally, at 8:40 p.m., RCMP were dis­patched to the same mo­tel where the over­dose oc­curred nearly 24 hours be­fore, re­spond­ing this time to an aban­doned 911 call. They ar­rived to find a fa­mil­iar face, this time suf­fer­ing from mi­nor in­juries and look­ing to have been beaten up.

He was un­co­op­er­a­tive and de­clined med­i­cal as­sis­tance, RCMP said.

Other than to say he is 37 years old, RCMP did not pro­vide any in­for­ma­tion on the sub­ject’s iden­tity. Charges against the man had not been ap­proved as of Tues­day af­ter­noon.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.