Man found not guilty of kidnapping, sexual assault
A Prince George man no longer stands accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a woman. Sukhjinder Singh was found not guilty of the counts on June 11 following a B.C. Supreme Court trial at the Prince George courthouse. Singh had been facing the charges in relation to a September 2017 report that a woman had accepted a ride from a man after the two were unable to fix a flat tire on her vehicle during the early morning.
While driving her home, he allegedly missed several turns and turned into a parking lot and sexually assaulted her but she was able to fend off her attacker and flee on foot, RCMP were told. Singh was arrested about a month later. During the trial, the woman’s credibility came into doubt. Singh’s lawyer, Dave Jenkins Sr., said there were several inconsistencies between what she said at preliminary hearing and what she said at trial. It was generally held that the accused was believable and that Crown evidence failed to overcome the doctrine of reasonable doubt.