The Province

Death squad leader wants out

20 YEARS IN JAIL: South African led police unit that tortured, killed militants


JOHANNESBU­RG, South Africa — Does forgivenes­s lead to a better society? Or are some crimes so atrocious that the perpetrato­rs should not be forgiven?

South Africa faced these difficult questions after apartheid ended two decades ago, and confronts them again as the government considers parole this year for a notorious death squad leader who worked for the white racist government.

Eugene de Kock, head of a covert police unit that tortured and killed dozens of anti-apartheid militants, was arrested in 1994, confessed to crimes and was sentenced in 1996 to two life terms plus another 212 years.

After 20 years in jail, he says he is the only member of the former police force serving time for crimes committed on behalf of South Africa’s old order and maintains he acted on instructio­ns from leaders who were never punished.

“Not one of the previous Generals, or Ministers who were in Cabinet up to 1990, have been prosecuted at all,” he said in an affidavit signed in January as part of his parole applicatio­n.

Julian Knight, de Kock’s lawyer, said he is pushing for a parole decision next month. He speculated that the government might delay the decision, timing it to celebratio­ns later this year of South Africa’s 20th anniversar­y of democracy, or until after May elections to minimize “any negative fallout.”

De Kock’s case revives debate about South Africa’s Truth and Reconcilia­tion Commission, which recommende­d amnesty to some who recounted wrongdoing during apartheid and showed remorse.

The goal was to promote reconcilia­tion by allowing the cruelties of the past to be examined, for victims to face repentant human rights violators and seek closure.

But some South Africans, including the family of slain activist Steve Biko, believe that more apartheide­ra enforcers should have been punished.

Lobbying for prosecutio­ns continues.

And a group that represents 85,000 victims of apartheid says a state plan topay reparation sis in adequate and far behind schedule.

De Kock contacted the group Khulumani — the word means “Speaking out” in Zulu — over the years to offer to meet people who suffered at the hands of apartheid’s agents, said Marjorie Jobson, the group’s director.

“It was the most relief that I ever saw anybody get,” Jobson said of bereaved relatives who visited de Kock in prison in hopes he would shed light on the deaths of family members.

Now 65, de Kock co-operated with the 1990s hearings of the Truth and Reconcilia­tion Commission and was pardoned for some crimes, but was convicted on murder and other charges linked to his role as head of the C10 police unit stationed at Vlakplaas, a farm west of Pretoria, the capital.

 ??  ?? This 1998 file photo shows police death squad leader, Eugene de Kock, who was sentenced to two life terms and more than 200 years for a killing spree.
This 1998 file photo shows police death squad leader, Eugene de Kock, who was sentenced to two life terms and more than 200 years for a killing spree.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada