Family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning
Five members of a family have been flown to hospital in Vancouver after a carbon monoxide leak in Barriere.
The latest CO scare comes one day after more than a dozen office workers were taken to hospital in Vancouver after a carbon monoxide problem in an office building.
Shannon Miller of Emergency Health Services says a 911 caller told the caller to get everyone out of the home Thursday morning, even though two of the family members were unconscious.
Barriere Fire Chief Ashley Wohlgemuth said they were called to a house in Barriere, north of Kamloops, at around 7:30 a.m. on Thursday.
She said all five members of the family had made it out of the house, and were taken by air to Vancouver for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning. She didn’t know their condition, but said they were all expected to survive. A post on the Barriere First Responders Facebook page said they were all in stable condition.
Wohlgemuth added that Vancouver is better equipped to deal with the poisoning, which can involve the use of hyperbaric chambers.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that is produced any time a carbon-based fuel such as gasoline, propane, charcoal or oil burns. When inhaled, it can reduce the body’s ability to carry oxygen in the blood, causing illness and even death.
Wohlgemuth wouldn’t disclose whether children were among the ill. She said there was a working CO detector in their house.
On Wednesday, 13 people were taken to hospital after a CO leak in the office building. Two of them were in critical condition.
According to B.C. Emergency Health Services, paramedics were called to the 1600-block of West 5th Avenue just before 10 a.m., where an individual had collapsed.