Eastern Regional Athletics selection/qualifying meet
The Newfoundland and Labrador 2012 Summer Games will be hosted in Carbonear and Harbour Grace Aug. 18-25.
Athletics (Track and Field) will be held in the second half of the Games – Aug. 23 and 24. Travel dates are Aug. 22 and Aug. 25.
Mariners Athletics Running Club is hosting an Eastern Regional Selection meet Wednesday, July 4, at the Marystown Track and Field Complex. The Eastern Region is northwest but excluding Arnold’s Cove, including the Bonavista Peninsula, the Burin Peninsula west to Pool’s Cove inclusive; Clarenville and northeast to Gambo but not including Gambo.
Team colors for the Eastern Region will be ‘sand’ color. Athletics Participants and Age Classification are: Participants – The Eastern Regional Summer Games Team will have a maximum of 24 athletes subdivided into two age classifications as follows:
• Female Team - 12 athletes (maximum of six athletes in each age division) plus two athletes with disabilities (one athlete from Special Olympics plus one Athlete with a physical disability).
• Male Team - 12 athletes (maximum of six athletes in each age division) plus two athletes with disabilities (one athlete from Special Olympics plus one Athlete with a physical disability). Age Classification – • Division 1: Born in 1994 and 1995 (age 17-18)
• Division 2: Born in 1996 through 2001 (age 1116) (an athlete who turns 11 as of Dec. 31/12 is eligible)
• Special Olympics: Born in 1991 through 2011 (age 11-21)
• Athletes with a disability: Born 1994-2001 (1118)
Athletes planning on competing in the Eastern Selection/Qualifying Meet are expected to complete a one-day Newfoundland and Labrador Athletics Association (NLAA) membership form.
This form must be signed by the athlete and a parent/guardian.
The form can be downloaded from ‘ http://www.nlaa.ca/forms/one_day_event_permit.php’.
This Regional Qualifier Meet will take place rain or shine starting at 1 p.m. Athletes should bring a lunch/snack.
Athletes/coaches/parents wishing to attend the trials should contact Gordon Brockerville, Regional Director, at ‘ gbrock[email protected]’ by 11:59 p.m. July 1. For more information contact Brockerville at 277-0768 or (709) 279-0380.