Funding announced for Fortune ferry terminal extension
Project to create waiting space for travellers heading to and from St. Pierre and Miquelon
Passengers travelling to and from St. Pierre and Miquelon will soon have a place where they can relax, while waiting for the ferry to the French islands.
The provincial government is providing funding totaling $177,000 to build an extension on the Fortune Harbour Authority’s ferry terminal.
Justice Minister and Grand Bank District MHA Darin King made the announcement, on behalf of Innovation, Business and Rural Development Minister Terry French, in Fortune Tuesday morning. He was joined by Mr. French’s parliamentary secretary MHA Clayton Forsey.
In particular, Mr. King indicated the funding would provide a secure, sheltered and comfortable environment for travellers, the lack of which he noted had been an issue that has been raised regularly.
“This project today is certainly going to, I think, rectify what’s been probably a negative part that people would have had when they came through here.”
Mr. King acknowledged the project is the first major initiative for the Fortune Harbour Authority, since it took over the waterfront facility from the federal government in April 2012.
Inside the new area, he said travellers will be able to learn about community events, activities and amenities available in the region, hopefully leading to longer stays on the peninsula and an increase in tourism activity.
Mr. Forsey noted the province has long celebrated the close connection to St. Pierre and Miquelon.
“As a province, we are proud to have a little piece of France here on our doorstep, and we are aware that, although we come from different countries, we depend on each other for attracting tourists to our regions.”
More than 12,000 passengers travel between Newfoundland and Labrador and St. Pierre and Miquelon each year.
Construction is expected to be complete on the ferry terminal extension later this spring or early summer.
President Earl Rose said the Fortune Harbour Authority was grate- ful for the funding to complete the project.
“We want the thousands of passengers travelling through Fortune to have the best experience possible.”
Fortune Mayor Charles Penwell suggested doing so only increases the possibility tourists will recommend the trip to others or return themselves.
“It’s nice to see that the Harbour Authority is continuing to do what it’s always done since its inception.
“In the last 20-odd years that the Harbour Authority has been in existence, they’ve always moved forward.”
The new space, located in the former federal government building on the Fortune waterfront, will give passengers travelling to and from St. Pierre and Miquelon a place where they can relax while waiting for the vessel to the French islands.
Funding from the provincial government was announced Tuesday morning to construct an extension to the Fortune Harbour Authority’s ferry terminal. Pictured (from left) are Minister Terry French’s Parliamentary Secretary Clayton Forsey, Fortune Harbour...