Voyeur caught at Sudbury sports park
A man convicted of voyeurism and ordered to stay away from children breached that condition when he went to a sports field in Sudbury in May 2017.
The man, who cannot be identified due to a publication ban, will be sentenced after a judge receives a pre-sentence report.
The now 47-year-old man, who used to reside in Greater Sudbury, but now lives in the Sudbury East area, pleaded guilty Thursday to breach of probation in the Ontario Court of Justice.
Defence lawyer Denis Michel, who asked for the pre-sentence report, indicated the court needs to be aware of a lot of new information about the man since he was last in court.
The man had been ordered by the courts to stay away from a public park or area where children under the age of 16 would be present unless accompanied by a supervisory person. However, on May 1, 2017, he went to the James Jerome Sports complex.
“He acknowledges he was on probation at the time and date at James Jerome Park,” Michel told the court.
In March of 2016, the man was facing charges of making child pornography, voyeurism and breach of bail. He pleaded guilty to voyeurism and breaching his bail.
In response, Justice Randall Lalande issued a one-year house arrest sentence, ordered the man to provide a sample to the national DNA databank and ordered that the man be listed on the national sex offenders’ registry for 10 years.
As a consequence, the Crown withdrew five other charges, including one count of accessing child pornography and two counts of breach of bail. The three bail breaches were alleged to have occurred in late August 2015.
The man was charged in October 2013, but was then seriously hurt when he was struck by a motor vehicle. He was then found unit to stand trial on March 17, 2014. The case was then turned over to the Ontario Review Board for future re-examination to determine if there was any change in the man’s condition.
“It was a definitely a shock,” someone who knows the accused through his work with kids, told the newspaper.
Noemi Paquette, the man’s lawyer in late 2013 and early 2014, told the court in mid-December, 2013 he was getting better, but did not recognize loved ones.