Makes: 1 double or 2 single 9-inch (23-cm) crust(s)
3 cups (750 mL) flour
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) shortening, chilled and cubed
6 tbsp (90 mL) ice water
1 tsp (5 mL) pure white vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Whisk together 6 tbsp (90 mL) ice water, vinegar and beaten egg. Gradually add ice water mixture to flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork just until dough starts to hold together.
3. If dough is too dry, gradually mix in additional ice water, 1 tsp (5 mL) at a time, just until dough comes together.
4. Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape.
5. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before rolling out.