CHARLIE BIRD’S FARRO SALAD
■ 1 cup (250 mL) pearled farro
■ 1 cup (250 mL) fresh apple cider
■ 2 bay leaves
■ Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) good olive oil
■ 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted, salted pistachios, whole or chopped
■ 1 cup (250 mL) roughly chopped fresh parsley
■ 1 cup (250 mL) roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
■ 1 cup (250 mL) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved through the stem
■ 1/3 cup (80 mL) thinly sliced radishes (2 to 3 radishes)
■ 2 cups baby arugula
■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) shaved Italian Parmesan cheese (see pro tip)
■ Flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
1. Place the farro, apple cider, bay leaves, 2 tsp (10 mL) salt and 2 cups (500 mL) water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, until the farro is tender.
2. If all the liquid is absorbed before the farro is tender, add a little more water. Drain the farro and transfer to a large serving bowl. Discard the bay leaves.
3. Meanwhile, in a small measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, 1 tsp (5 mL) salt and 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper. Stir the vinaigrette into the warm farro and set aside for at least 15 minutes to cool.
4. Before serving, stir in the pistachios, parsley, mint, tomatoes and radishes.
5. Add the arugula and lightly fold in the Parmesan so as not to break it up too much. Sprinkle with the sea salt and serve immediately.
Pro tip: Shave the Parmesan with a vegetable peeler to get large beautiful curls.