Three 13-year-old N.L. boys had horrible week at Manitoba Tim Hortons camp facility
Brady, Brody and Nathan all attended a Tim Hortons camp in Nova Scotia last year, and described it as the trip of a lifetime.
“He didn’t want to come home last summer,” said Nathan’s mother, Debora Downton. “He said 10 days wasn’t long enough.”
All three boys were counting down the days until their trip to Whiteshell, Man., for their second Tim Hortons camp experience.
“Everything on the website looked exactly like the Nova Scotia camp last year,” said Brady. “I was so excited.”
But for all three boys, this trip was a nightmare right from the beginning.
“The night the children arrived at camp, the parents were supposed to receive a phone call stating their child arrived safe and sound,” said mother Latonna Rogers. “I called 10 times and emailed twice before I finally got an answer the next morning. What a horrible night I spent worrying and fretting about my child.”
The itinerary stated that all meals and snacks would be provided for the children. When the children returned home, the parents learned they went 11 hours with no food while travelling.
The showers were ice cold, the children were bullied and one even left to sleep alone in a tent on an overnight trip.
But for Rogers, her biggest fear came true when Brady returned home.
“My son takes medication three times a day for a chromosome disorder he has,” Rogers said. “I sent him with 40 pills and 20 allergy pills. He came home with all of them.”
Rogers told SaltWire Network that, like any boy with ADHD tendencies, her son has to be constantly reminded to take his medication. The councillors at the camp failed to administer his medication, she said.
Jody Clarke said that when her son, Brody, arrived home, he was covered in bug bites and scratches, and had something mysterious under his skin.
“I was putting lotion on his bites, and then I saw a tick under his skin,” Clarke said.
Clarke went to the hospital and was told to keep an eye on her son for the next 7 to 14 days to ensure he doesn’t develop any symptoms.
The parents say they weren’t informed about how to properly manage ticks if their children came home with them.
“When my son asked for sunscreen or bug repellent, he was told there was none,” Rogers said. “His body is covered in bites, scabs, welts and rashes.”
The children were told that the red and brown ticks are OK, but if a black tick gets under their skin they must go to the wellness cabin.
“In one bunk house, were more ticks than Brady said.
Debora Downton’s Nathan, lasted a mere days at the camp.
“He flew by himself one way to the camp,” Downton said. “He was comfortable doing that, knowing that a councillor would be there to pick him up at the gate.”
But there was no councillor there when Nathan arrived, and he began to panic and called his mom.
It took 45 minutes before anyone reached Nathan.
For the next three days, Nathan experienced bullying and teasing, and begged to go home.
“He really didn’t seem like himself,” Downton said. “That’s when I realized that he hadn’t been given any of his medication while at camp.”
Things took another turn for the worse when Nathan arrived home without a life-ordeath item. there kids,”
“He travelled all the way home without his Epipen,” Downton said. “He has a severe allergy to tree nuts. He could have died.”
Downton got the Epipen back only a couple of days ago.
To end the trip, Brady said he was jolted awake at 2 a.m. to be informed that his flight had been changed, and he had to leave right away.
“The wrong children were put on the wrong flights,” Rogers said. “I was informed at 2 p.m. of this change. Luckily, I don’t live far from the airport, but other parents weren’t so lucky.”
All three boys told SaltWire Network they were offered trips to go back to the Nova Scotia camp, but they are uninterested.
SaltWire Network contacted Tim Hortons head office in Ontario, but the company did not respond to a request for comment.