Tak­ing it one day at a time

Stephenvil­le’s Trixie Hines turn­ing 102 years of age on Wed­nes­day

The Western Star - - Front Page - BY FRANK GALE [email protected]­ern­star.com twit­ter: @ws_frankgale

She took one day at a time and never let any­thing bother her.

That’s the ex­pla­na­tion that Trixie Hines of Stephenvil­le, who turns 102 years of age on Wed­nes­day, gives when asked about the rea­son for her longevity.

But she rec­ol­lects an­other big part of it is that she never drank al­co­hol or smoked and al­ways worked hard in her younger years.

Born on Sandy Point near St. Ge­orge’s on July 12, 1915, she was in­volved in most of the fam­ily chores from milk­ing cows at 12 years of age to drag­ging wa­ter a good dis­tance.

The fam­ily raised their own fowl, along with sheep and a pig.

With acres of land, they also did a lot of plant­ing.

Her dad, Mil­lage Messer­vey was a steamship agent at the bustling Sandy Point and a light­house keeper for many years.

Her grand­fa­ther, Cap­tain Ed­win Hirst was a deep sea cap­tain from Eng­land who of­ten brought goods to St. John’s and Sandy Point.

She said prior to 1903, mostly ev­ery­thing came in by boats. That all changed when the rail­way went through and goods came into the prov­ince by train.

Hines said the worst thing she had to en­dure in her life­time was the flood of 1951 at Sandy Point, when their whole fam­ily of nine mem­bers had to go up­stairs into one room and be with­out food for sev­eral days.

The two doors were left open down­stairs so the wa­ter could run through and she re­mem­bers Christ­mas cakes and presents all float­ing out the door.

“There was no com­pen­sa­tion those days,” she said, re­call­ing hav­ing to go pick up washed away coal from their win­ter stock at low tide.

As a young girl she also re­mem­bers pick­ing blue­ber­ries up at The Drib­ble af­ter get­ting a ride by boat in the morn­ing and hav­ing to meet it when it was re­turn­ing in the evening. There was al­ways a good stock of blue­berry jam and other pre­serves in their root cel­lar.

She re­mem­bers of­ten skat­ing from Black Bank to St. Ge­orge’s, which was a “de­cent” dis­tance, but never thought much of it back then.

Trixie and her hus­band Frank had six chil­dren: Ken­neth, Stan­ley, Frank Jr., Sam, Beatrice and Ste­wart, who died. Re­set­tle­ment re­sulted in the fam­ily leav­ing Sandy Point on Aug. 9, 1963, with only a cou­ple of fam­i­lies re­main­ing at the time.

They first moved to Seal Rocks, St. Ge­orge’s and lived there for 10 years, then to Bara­chois Brook be­fore mov­ing to Stephenvil­le Manor on May 11, 1977, where she still re­sides.

Her hus­band died on Boxing Day that same year.

Hines has the dis­tinc­tion now of be­ing the only per­son re­ceiv­ing “meals on wheels” in Stephenvil­le, pro­vided by the Knights of Colum­bus, and ap­pre­ci­ates the one meal a day.

She is a life­time mem­ber of the Sir Thomas Rod­dick Hos­pi­tal Aux­il­iary and served as a mem­ber of the Royal Cana­dian Le­gion Ladies Aux­il­iary in St. Ge­orge’s for 10 years and 30 years in Stephenvil­le.

Hines is in ex­cel­lent health and only takes one pill a day for her eyes and a seal oil cap­sule daily. She’s cut out most sug­ars but still has lots of honey, which she jokes keeps her sweet.

Hines doesn’t want to hear tell of mov­ing into a se­niors home and is con­tent where she is, as peo­ple treat her well there.


Trixie Hines of Stephenvil­le, who is turn­ing 102 years of age to­mor­row, poses for a photo.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.