Emergency protection order against RNC officer withdrawn
An emergency protection order against RNC Const. Steve Curnew has been dropped. Curnew, 43, was arrested late last month after he allegedly violated the order, which banned him from contacting a woman. He was charged with a single count of breaching an order under the Family Violence and Protection Act and was released on a $1,000 surety.
Curnew is due back in court on that charge on Sept. 6, but on Friday, the emergency protection order was officially dropped.
The court heard the woman had contacted the RNC to indicate she wanted the order withdrawn, and lawyer Randy Piercey, representing Curnew, said the parties had come to an agreement on the matter. Judge Colin Flynn agreed to withdraw the order. Curnew is a former media relations officer for the RNC, and a member of the criminal investigation division. According to a written statement issued by RNC Chief Joe Boland at the time of Curnew’s arrest, Curnew was not on duty at the time of the alleged EPO breach, and is currently nonoperational and on leave. The alleged breach did not include violence, Boland said.