Ontario will move ahead with council cut despite city’s court challenge
TORONTO — The Ontario government says it will move ahead with a plan to cut Toronto city council nearly in half despite local politicians deciding to mount a court challenge against the province over the issue. A spokesman for Premier Doug Ford says the province will be implementing legislation that will cut Toronto city council from 47 to 25 seats. Toronto councillors voted yesterday to pursue a court challenge in hope of having the legislation - which passed last week - overturned.
The city will now take part in a Superior Court hearing on Aug. 31.
Ford has said cutting council will make decision-making more efficient in Toronto, and has ruled out taking similar action in other municipalities in the province.