Jacks take it on the chin from Tav­i­s­tock in back-to-back losses

The Woolwich Observer - - SPORTS - VERON­ICA REINER

THE TAV­I­S­TOCK BRAVES SHOWED why they sit atop the divi­sional stand­ings, beat­ing Welles­ley twice in as many days last week­end.

Though los­ing last Fri­day night on the road by a score of 5-1 and then at home 6-3 on Satur­day, the Jacks held on to third place in the South Do­herty Divi­sion with a record of 13-4-1-3, their 30 points just one ahead of the Wood­stock Navy Vets (148-0-1)

Things were look­ing good for the Jacks early on in the No­vem­ber 23 match, as James Ran­son drew first blood just 29 sec­onds into the game, with as­sists go­ing to Shaun Pickering and Alex Ut­t­ley. They may have scored early, but not of­ten, as the score­board be­longed to the home team af­ter that.

While the vis­i­tors took the 1-0 lead into the first in­ter­mis­sion, Tav­i­s­tock broke it open in the sec­ond, tak­ing ad­van­tage of a string of Welles­ley penal­ties to score three times on the power play en route to a 4-1 ad­van­tage by the time the frame ended.

Spe­cial teams were a fac­tor in the lone goal of the third pe­riod. This time, how­ever, the Braves were short­handed when they rounded out the scor­ing at 5-1 with less than five min­utes to go. Tav­i­s­tock ended up 3-10 on the power play, while Welles­ley was 0-5 with the ad­van­tage. Shots were 36-29 for the team that got to cel­e­brate a win.

Things were slightly bet­ter the fol­low­ing night back at the Welles­ley arena, but not good enough to pre­vent the Jacks from los­ing for the first time on home ice.

This time, it was Tav­i­s­tock that scored the lone goal of the open­ing 20 min­utes, again on the power play – they’d go 3-7 by game’s end. They’d never re­lin­quish the lead.

It was 2-0 at 2:22 of the sec­ond cour­tesy of an­other power-play marker, but Welles­ley got on the board just a cou­ple of min­utes later, part of the ac­tion in the busiest frame of the match. The vis­i­tors re­stored their two-goal lead at 7:32 and it would be eight min­utes be­fore the Jacks got that one back. With just sec­onds to go, how­ever, the Braves used the man ad­van­tage to make it 4-2.

The teams traded goals in the third, the Jacks mak­ing it 5-3 be­fore giv­ing up an empty-net goal with just over a minute to go.

Though still on the los­ing end of the match, the Jacks did man­age to bury a cou­ple of more pucks while out­shoot­ing the vis­i­tors 40-27.

About half­way through the sea­son, the Jacks will be look­ing to get back on track this week­end – and start a new streak on home ice – when they wel­come the Ayr Cen­ten­ni­als Satur­day at 7:30 p.m. and then the Delhi Trav­ellers the fol­low­ing af­ter­noon for a 2 p.m. mati­nee.


Welles­ley’s Drew Mul­lett scraps with the Braves dur­ing game ac­tion Nov. 23 in Tav­i­s­tock, the first of a home-and-home se­ries that saw the Jacks come up emp­ty­handed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.