Times Colonist

Discarded cigarette suspected in pub fire

-

Investigat­ors suspect a discarded cigarette may have caused a weekend fire at the Monkey Tree Pub which caused roughly $200,000 in damage.

“It is something we are seriously considerin­g,” assistant fire Chief Todd Cave said.

Cave said the fire started outside the building in a hedge on the property. The dry hedge and bamboo leaves then quickly spread the blaze to the pub.

While the department does not yet know the exact cause of the fire, Cave ruled out a faulty transforme­r or electrical wires as factors.

One cause being seriously considered is a cigarette, Cave said. There were many cigarette and cigar butts in the area. He said a cigarette could have been tossed by a pub patron, someone passing by or from a moving car.

Cave said cigarettes are increasing­ly dangerous as the dry season nears, and cause fires every year.

“This is something we’re getting more and more concerned with,” he said. “It’s a serious possibilit­y at this point.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada