Times Colonist

Accused B.C. serial killer’s trial could take up to a year

- Prince George Citizen and Postmedia News

PRINCE GEORGE — The trial of an accused B.C. serial killer could take up to a year, a courtroom heard on Monday.

Cody Alan Legebokoff, 21, is charged with firstdegre­e murder in the deaths of three women and a blind teenage girl.

Crown prosecutor Lara Vizsolyi said Monday that although she estimates the trial will take six months to a year to complete, she has no estimate on when it will begin.

The Crown has elected to proceed by direct indictment on all four charges, which means there will be no preliminar­y hearing, and Legebokoff will face a single trial before a jury.

Legebokoff appeared in court in Prince George on Monday looking pale with his head shaved and wearing red prison garb.

He has been behind bars since November 2010, when he was charged with killing 15-year-old Loren Leslie.

The legally blind teenager told her family she was going out for coffee with a friend and never returned.

Legebokoff was arrested after an RCMP officer from Fort St. James spotted a truck turning out of a unused logging road the evening Leslie disappeare­d.

He pulled over and questioned the driver before calling in a conservati­on officer to investigat­e whether the man had been illegally hunting.

The conservati­on official traced the tire tracks back down the logging road and found the teen dead in the snow. Leslie had been murdered just hours before, RCMP said at the time.

After an extensive investigat­ion involving U.S. forensic experts, Legebokoff was charged in the deaths of Jill Stacey Stuchenko, Cynthia Frances Maas and Natasha Lynn Montgomery.

Stuchenko, 35, was reported missing in October 2009 and found dead four days later in a gravel pit on the outskirts of Prince George.

Maas, 35, and Montgomery, 23, were both reported missing on the same day in September 2010. Maas’s body was found in a Prince George park the following month but Montgomery’s body has never been found.

Police have not released details of how any of the women were killed.

Legebokoff was raised in Fort St. James, where he was arrested, and also lived in Lethbridge, Alta. He was an “avid user of social media and technology” where he was known by the moniker 1Countrybo­y, RCMP said.

“Our investigat­ion indicates he extensivel­y utilized social media and online dating to correspond with friends, associates, potential girlfriend­s and others,” police said in an Oct. 17 news release announcing the latest charges.

Legebokoff was not on the RCMP’S “radar screen” before his unusual arrest just hours after Leslie’s slaying, police said.

He does not have a criminal record.

RCMP said Legebokoff is not a suspect in the 18 murders and disappeara­nces along the so-called Highway of Tears because of his age.

The slayings along the highway that connects Prince George and Prince Rupert date back to the 1970s.

 ??  ?? Coady Legebokoff has been charged with firstdegre­e murder in the deaths of three women and a teenage girl.
Coady Legebokoff has been charged with firstdegre­e murder in the deaths of three women and a teenage girl.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada