Chinese cash fails to lure Giovinco
Breathe easy, Toronto FC fans: Sebastian Giovinco is staying put. For now, at least. Weeks after the Reds striker’s agent Andrea D’Amico spoke to multiple media outlets about a “huge” offer his client received from China, D’Amico told Sky Sports Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio that a deal to send the Italian to the burgeoning league was not reached.
“At the moment, he turned it down,” D’Amico said. “Everything on transfer market is ‘at the moment.’ The financial offer doesn’t suit Toronto nor Giovinco. We’ll see.” D’Amico said Chinese Super League club Beijing Guoan offered Giovinco about $10.5 million U.S. per year year to leave the Reds but the player was committed to the project he has started in Toronto.
“There was a first offer and then an increased one,” D’Amico said.
“For China, the financial aspect is the last problem.”
The Chinese Super League’s transfer window closes next Monday.
General manager Tim Bezbatchenko said earlier this month it would be very difficult to move Giovinco.
“We want to be at the top of MLS in every category and so obviously Seba is one of the best players, if not the best, in MLS so we’re not looking to sell him or put a price tag on him,” he said.
The Reds kick off their season on March 4 with a visit to Real Salt Lake.