Toronto’s lat­est mur­der vic­tim was convicted in 2005 of beat­ing a men­tally dis­abled man to death


A woman’s fran­tic shrieks from a cell­phone filled the eighth-floor hallway of a Scar­bor­ough high­rise on Sat­ur­day.

About 12 hours ear­lier, Lin­gath­asan Sun­tharamoor­thy, 36, was gunned down in­side his eighth­floor apart­ment at 100 Dundalk Dr. — near Kennedy Rd. and Hwy. 401 — and his heart­bro­ken sis­ter was on the other end of a phone hear­ing from a cousin that he may be dead.

“We don’t know if it is him or not, we are just wait­ing for con­fir­ma­tion by the po­lice,” Ru­bin Ari­arat­nam said Sat­ur­day at the Kennedy Place apart­ment build­ing.

The sis­ter’s worst fear came to pass soon af­ter when an of­fi­cer knocked on her door, the cousin later ex­plained.

On a night when gun­men sprayed the city with bul­lets, leav­ing one man dead and two wounded in three sep­a­rate shoot­ings in the span of a few hours, Toronto Po­lice say of­fi­cers re­sponded to the Dundalk Dr. high­rise around 11:50 p.m. and found a man suf­fer­ing from mul­ti­ple gun­shot wounds.

The man, later iden­ti­fied by cops as Sun­tharamoor­thy, was pro­nounced dead at the scene, be­com­ing the city’s fourth mur­der of 2019 — the fourth slain in six days.

“Of­fi­cers at­tempted

CPR, con­tacted EMS and Toronto Fire, who ar­rived on scene shortly there­after,” Homi­cide Det. Robert North said Sat­ur­day at 41 Di­vi­sion. “Un­for­tu­nately, de­spite all the ef­forts of the of­fi­cers and EMS the man suc­cumbed to his in­juries.”

No sus­pect de­scrip­tion was im­me­di­ately avail­able but in­ves­ti­ga­tors are re­view­ing the build­ing’s sur­veil­lance video.

Of­fi­cers stood guard through­out the day at the door to the apart­ment, se­cur­ing the scene for in­ves­ti­ga­tors.

Shattered glass was strewn across the side­walk and road­way out­side the build­ing, be­neath Sun­tharamoor­thy’s bal­cony, and a sec­tion of a town­house com­plex across the street was cor­doned off with yel­low crime scene tape.

It was not im­me­di­ately known how the town­house com­plex was in­volved.

Amy Li, part of the apart­ment build­ing’s own­er­ship, said she re­ceived a call from a res­i­dent around 11:45 p.m. Fri­day say­ing glass had show­ered down on them as they sat in their idling car out­side the build­ing.

Ear­lier in the night, around 9 p.m., an­other man be­lieved to be in his 20s was rushed to a trauma cen­tre with se­ri­ous in­juries af­ter gun­fire erupted at a condo near Bathurst St. and Fort York Blvd. that was pos­si­bly be­ing used as an Airbnb.

A third man walked into hos­pi­tal early Sat­ur­day morn­ing with gun­shot wounds that cops sus­pect were suf­fered when gun­shots rang out at a Scar­bor­ough strip mall on Vic­to­ria Pk. Ave., north of Eglin­ton Ave. E.

Speak­ing about his slain cousin, Ari­arat­nam said Sun­tharamoor­thy worked for a Sri Lankan tow truck com­pany in Toronto and had been in and out of jail over the years since com­ing to Canada.

He claimed his cousin acted as “mus­cle” for the tow­ing com­pany, help­ing re­solve mat­ters when needed.

Sun­tharamoor­thy made head­lines in 2005 when he and three other men were charged af­ter a men­tally dis­abled man was bru­tally beaten to death at a Scar­bor­ough diner, near Mid­land and Lawrence Aves.

Sun­tharamoor­thy was sub­se­quently convicted of man­slaugh­ter and sen­tenced to five years be­hind bars.

He was back in the news in 2010 af­ter lead­ing OPP of­fi­cers on a high-speed chase along Hwy. 401 while he was on pro­ba­tion and sus­pended from driv­ing.

A few years ago, while Sun­tharamoor­thy was serv­ing fed­eral pen­i­ten­tiary time, Ari­arat­nam said he acted as an es­cort for his cousin af­ter he was granted a day pass to at­tend his mother’s fu­neral.

In Jan­uary 2017, Sun­tharamoor­thy was in the news yet again when Toronto cops is­sued a Canada-wide war­rant for his ar­rest.

He was in cus­tody at the time and mak­ing a court ap­pear­ance when a cler­i­cal er­ror en­abled him to walk out of the court­house.

At the time, he was deemed to be “un­law­fully at large” and po­lice de­scribed him as “vi­o­lent and dan­ger­ous.”

Six months later, Sun­tharamoor­thy sur­ren­dered to po­lice at 42 Di­vi­sion in Scar­bor­ough.



SUN­THARAMOOR­THY Po­lice cor­don off an area near a build­ing on Dundalk Dr. In Scar­bor­ough where Lin­gath­asan Sun­tharamoor­thy, inset, was gunned down Fri­day night, be­com­ing Toronto’s fourth homi­cide vic­tim of the year.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.