Changes over time: Then and Now
Another look at some changed streetscapes as part of Then and Now feature
The bottom floor of what was once was a Methodist Church at corner of Ann and Water Streets in Shelburne (circa 1899) still stands and has been used for a variety of purposes and businesses over the years. The building on the right in the old photo was the G.T. MacDonald’s Drug Store, Shelburne’s first pharmacy. Historic photo from the Shelburne County Museum collection accession #10a. Present day photo by Kathy Johnson Not too many changes in this Water Street scene in Shelburne. On the left in the old photo is Dick Bower’s Up To Date store, which is no longer in existence. The Masonic Hall (centre) is still standing and still used as a Masonic Hall upstairs. Downstairs is retail space. On the right is Robertson’s Hardware, which is still in use today as retail space. Historic photo from the Shelburne County Museum collection accession #D-6. Present day photo by Kathy Johnson
The buildings on Shelburne’s historic Dock Street are much the same today as they were in years gone by, except back in the day it was a working waterfront. Today, the area welcomes hundreds of tourists each year and hosts numerous community events. Building pictured are the Dory Shop and the Cox Warehouse. Historic photo from the Shelburne County Museum collection accession #IE-13. Present day photo by Kathy Johnson
The corner where Water street turns in Birch Street back in time. A policeman can be seen standing in the middle of the road directing traffic. This often happened when a train was blocking the street, or a train was expected to arrive.