Fire departments tackled fire in downtown Yarmouth
Fire contained to second-storey business but heavy water damage to yoga studio below
A fire on the second level at 350 Main St. was knocked down before it had a chance to spread further last week, averting certain disaster in Yarmouth’s downtown.
Kate and Joe Giglio own the building and operate their business, Supernova Power Yoga, beneath where the fire occurred. The fire took place at about 10:30 p.m. Nov. 29.
Your New Addiction Custom Tattoo is located above the yoga studio.
The buildings on either side of the fire, Runners Attic/Hamilton’s Fine Clothing, and the Wool Shoppe were not damaged.
Kate Giglio, who ironically had a flat tire on the way to the fire, says they are grateful to the person who called 911 to report the fire.
It was reported someone noticed flames in the above unit and called 911.
“It could have been worse. If they (firefighters) hadn’t got there when they did, I think the whole building would have gone down.”
Had the fire not been noticed by a passerby, there was also the chance that adjacent buildings could have been damaged or destroyed if the fire had spread undetected.
Giglio said the day after the fire that although there was lots of water damage in the studio, offers to assist with the cleanup are pouring in.
“That’s very humbling. It means a lot. You just feel lost when something like this happens,” she said.
They hoped to reopen the first week of December, however in a Facebook post on Saturday that noted that while the studio is drying out, the wood floor will need “a lot of TLC or complete replacement.” They expected Monday evening, after this newspaper’s press deadline, to have a better idea of when they could reopen. They were also going to Facebook Live some yoga sessions for those who have been taking their classes.
Yarmouth Chief John Verrall said last week initially the call was a mutual aid one, but when it became apparent help was not required, Lake Vaughan and Port Maitland firefighters returned to their communities.
The suspected cause of the fire was electrical.
The impact of the fire on the tattoo business’s operations was not known at the time this story was written.
A fire at 350 Main St. on Nov. 29 was contained to the second level.
Lots of firefighters and equipment was on the scene of the fire in the downtown, which was contained before spreading to other neighbouring buildings.