8 things you probably didn’t know about the black vulture
1. Black Vultures will defecate on their legs and feet to cool them o .
2. Adults have silvery patches on the underside of their wingtips.
3. They feed mainly on carrion and will sometimes take food from landfill sites.
4. They lay their eggs, which are pale green or blue, on the ground. The
young are covered in yellowish or pinkish down, and have open eyes, when they hatch.
5. They don’t have a voice box, but sometimes make raspy, hissing sounds when feeding or ghting, yapping sounds while courting, and pigeon-like coos when caring for their young.
6. They can be 68 cm (26 in.) in length and have a wingspan of up to 150 cm (59 in).
7. Turkey vultures have a better sense of smell, so black vultures will sometimes follow them to food.
8. The oldest known black vulture lived to be least 25 years and six months of age.