Why not go Mediterranean!
While traditionally common in countries that surround the Mediterranean Sea, recipes native to a Mediterranean diet are loved by families across Canada today. This way of eating has been found to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
It also helps to control blood sugars and manage diabetes. Sobeys is proud to make it easier for Canadian families to enjoy all the benefits that a Mediterranean diet has to offer. You don’t have to travel far to follow the Mediterranean diet. You can get the foods, flavours and health benefits.
DO SOMETHING GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH
• Enjoy meals with family and friends.
• Get plenty of exercise.
• Try to eat more plant-based foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.
• Cook with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil.
• Flavour foods using herbs and spices instead of salt or sugar.
• Eat fish and seafood at least twice a week.
• Have poultry, eggs and lower fat dairy more often.
• Limit red meat and sweets.
• Satisfy your thirst with water most of the time.
• Drink red wine in moderation (for those who drink).
DISCOVER FOODS THE MEDITERRANEAN WAY
• Eat vegetables at breakfast. Add veggies to omelets and spinach to smoothies.
• Spread mashed avocado on toast instead of butter.
• Add black beans or chickpeas to salads.
• Use hummus as a dip for veggies or spread on a sandwich.
• Make a salad by mixing cooked barley, diced veggies and salad dressing.
• Cook fish for a quick and easy protein when you’re in a hurry.
• Think of meat as a garnish. Top a salad with slices of steak or add pork tenderloin strips to stir-fried vegetables.
• Make a trail mix with nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
MEDITERRANEAN IN YOUR KITCHEN
Olive oil is a healthy fat that tastes great! Use olive oil instead of butter, hard margarine, lard or shortening to help lower cholesterol.
TRY SOME OF THESE FRESH IDEAS:
• Dip bread in olive oil instead of spreading butter on it.
• Make your own salad dressing using olive oil, lemon juice and herbs.
• Make hummus or bean dip with olive oil.
• Blend fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil for a quick pesto. Spread on chicken or fish. Hungry for more? Like @Sobeysdietitian on Facebook and Twitter for more tasty tips and recipes or receive our schedule of events and Healthy Bits & Bites Newsletter directly to your inbox! Register at www.sobeyspharmacy.com/newsletter.
Did you know? Sobeys Dietitians offer a variety of free nutrition classes and one-onone counselling. Cooking for Heart Health (Free session) Explore foods you can add to your menu to improve heart health. Whole Grains – Tuesday, Feb. 11, 1 - 2:30 p.m. Register at 902-895-7382.