Great Vil­lage woman res­cued from house fire

Truro Daily News - - COLCHESTER COUNTY - [email protected]­daily.com @truro­daily FRAM DINSHAW

GREAT VIL­LAGE – A 94-year-old woman from Great Vil­lage was taken to hospi­tal for treat­ment of smoke in­hala­tion, fol­low­ing a fire at her res­i­dence on March 6.

“She was bedrid­den and couldn’t get out so I sent (in) two of our guys,” said Chief Larry Kins­man of the Great Vil­lage and Dis­trict Vol­un­teer Fire Bri­gade. “They forced en­try through the front door.”

Kins­man said ap­prox­i­mately 20 fire­fight­ers from both Great Vil­lage and De­bert were called out shortly af­ter noon to a res­i­dence on Spencer Cross­ing Rd. be­long­ing to Jean Gor­don.

Kins­man said it took “five or six min­utes,” to res­cue Gor­don.

“We weren’t that long get­ting there, but it was a long time to be in that smoke at 94 years old,” Kins­man said. “She was not that con­scious, just enough to rec­og­nize we were there.”

Her son, Ross Gor­don, said he was re­turn­ing from Truro to his nearby home when he saw fire trucks at his mother’s house.

“She’ll be mov­ing in with me when she gets out,” he said.

The fire is sus­pected to have started from lint in the clothes dryer.

Jean’s house, which is in­sured, re­ceived smoke, heat and a small amount of wa­ter dam­age. Kins­man es­ti­mated the fire dam­age it­self to be about $2,000 but said the clean-up costs would be higher.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.