Jamie Ba­con’s ‘true love’ died on day of court win

Vancouver Sun - - FRONT PAGE - KIM BOLAN

Kelowna res­i­dent Madi­son Fine made her way to Van­cou­ver last week to be near boyfriend Jamie Ba­con when the rul­ing came down throw­ing out his mur­der charge.

But the 25-year-old con­victed drug traf­ficker never made it to the court­house. In­stead, she was found un­re­spon­sive in a Rich­mond ho­tel by Ba­con’s mother Su­san, dead of a sus­pected over­dose.

Rich­mond RCMP Cpl. Den­nis Hwang said he couldn’t com­ment on Fine’s death. Andy Wat­son of the B.C. Coroners Ser­vice said the agency is in­ves­ti­gat­ing and has not de­ter­mined Fine’s cause of death.

“I can­not com­ment on any­thing spe­cific like the cause of death — that in­for­ma­tion will come once the in­ves­ti­ga­tion is com­plete,” he wrote in an email.

Fine’s fam­ily did not re­spond to re­quests for com­ment, but her fam­ily re­counted her short life in an obit­u­ary pub­lished Thurs­day, which re­ferred to her as the “true love to Jamie.”

“It is with great sad­ness and heart­felt loss that we share with you the pass­ing of our dear, sweet Mad­die to an ac­ci­den­tal over­dose,” the obit­u­ary said.

“Mad­die was the most head­strong, smart, cre­ative, en­tre­pre­neur­ial (and mad­den­ing at times) daugh­ter, who never ac­cepted help. She al­ways wanted to solve things her­self. She had an un­canny abil­ity to read a room and any sit­u­a­tion. She al­ways fought for the un­der­dog and helped a larger com­mu­nity of peo­ple in need.”

Fine was also well-known to po­lice. She was charged with pos­ses­sion for the pur­pose of traf­fick­ing on both Oct. 1, 2012, and Jan. 23, 2013. She was sen­tenced to a year in jail.

In Fe­bru­ary 2014, she was ar­rested in down­town Kelowna and charged with traf­fick­ing heroin. Dur­ing a sub­se­quent strip search by Kelowna RCMP, bags of crack co­caine, co­caine and heroin fell out of her pants.

A provin­cial court judge later ruled the strip search had vi­o­lated Fine’s char­ter rights be­cause it was video­taped and could have been viewed by oth­ers in a mon­i­tor­ing room at the de­tach­ment.

When she died, she was still be­fore the courts on charges of wil­fully re­sist­ing a peace of­fi­cer and im­paired driving. She was to go to trial in Kelowna next sum­mer.

Her fam­ily said Fine was an en­tre­pre­neur who, as a child, sold Avon prod­ucts and de­liv­ered news­pa­pers, and who loved an­i­mals.

“Mad­die spent her last few years lov­ing Jamie, shar­ing the laughs and trav­el­ling the world, mak­ing sure she did as much as she could while she was here,” the obit­u­ary said.

Po­lice be­lieve Fine con­tin­ued to be ac­tive in the drug trade in re­cent years, run­ning dial-a-dope lines in var­i­ous B.C. lo­ca­tions.

In­deed, Postmedia News has learned that con­flicts she had with some of Ba­con’s former Red Scor­pion as­so­ciates con­trib­uted to the gang splin­ter­ing into ri­val groups.

One of those groups is linked to a Lan­g­ley farm­house where po­lice re­cently found firearms, ex­plo­sives, bul­let­proof vests and mar­i­juana plants along with stolen prop­erty.

Van­cou­ver po­lice Supt. Mike Por­te­ous said Wed­nes­day the farm, in the 4000 block of 240th Street, was likely used as a stag­ing site for gang­sters to get their firearms and pre­pare for shoot­ings.

Seven peo­ple were ar­rested when po­lice moved in on Nov. 13, but were later re­leased pend­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion and ap­proval of charges.

Ba­con, who faced charges in con­nec­tion to the 2007 Sur­rey Six mur­ders un­til last week, is ex­pected to ap­ply for bail on one re­main­ing charge.

He is due back in B.C. Supreme Court on Fri­day on a charge of coun­selling some­one to com­mit mur­der for a botched 2008 shoot­ing of a former as­so­ci­ate.

If he gets re­leased, it will be to a dif­fer­ent gang land­scape than the one that ex­isted when he was ar­rested for mur­der in April 2009. But the Red Scor­pion gang he joined about a decade ago is still ac­tive and in­volved in some of the same vi­o­lence that sent Ba­con to jail.

“The Red Scor­pi­ons got em­broiled, as we all know, in this un­be­liev­ably chaotic and vi­o­lent gang land­scape that man­i­fested it­self in dozens of mur­ders go­ing back over a decade,” Staff Sgt. Lindsey Houghton, of the Com­bined Forces Spe­cial En­force­ment Unit, said this week.

Some of the orig­i­nal gang con­flicts from the late 2000s “con­tinue to this day,” he said.

The two men who founded the Scor­pi­ons in a youth de­ten­tion cen­tre in 2005 are no longer in­volved. Mike Le pleaded guilty to con­spir­acy to com­mit mur­der in the Sur­rey Six case. He served his sen­tence and has been re­leased. Co-founder Kon­aam Shirzad was shot to death in Kam­loops in Septem­ber.

But the Red Scor­pi­ons have sur­vived by re­cruit­ing and through strate­gic al­liances like be­com­ing part of the Wolf Pack, an in­ter­na­tional crime group made up of some Red Scor­pi­ons, some Hells An­gels and some mem­bers of the In­de­pen­dent Sol­diers gang, Houghton said.

“They are still very ac­tive, not only through­out the Lower Main­land, but also through­out the Okana­gan,” Houghton said.

Kelowna res­i­dent Madi­son Fine, 25, died of a sus­pected over­dose at a Rich­mond ho­tel Dec. 1.Fine, the girl­friend of Red Scor­pion Jamie Ba­con, was once sen­tenced to a year in jail for drug traf­fick­ing.

Jamie Ba­con


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.