OVEN-BAKED POTATO LATKES
4 tbsp (60 mL) coconut oil or olive oil
1 1/2 lb (680 g) potatoes, shredded
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup (60 mL) plus
1 tbsp (15 mL) chia or flax meal (available at health food stores)
Plain yogurt Chopped fresh dill or parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and brush it lightly with a little oil.
2. Place shredded potatoes in a colander over a large bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over top and sprinkle with the salt. Toss to coat and let mixture stand 10 minutes to drain.
3. Squeeze potatoes with hands, one portion at a time, to remove as much liquid as possible, and place in a medium bowl. Stir in onions, garlic, pepper to taste, and the chia or flax meal, mixing well with your hands. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow chia or flax meal to gel.
4. Form latkes using a 1/4-cup (60-mL) measure and arrange on prepared pan.
5. Flatten each latke for thinner, crisper results. Brush with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil. Bake latkes in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then turn each one, brush with remaining 2tbsp (30mL) oil and bake for another 20 minutes, until golden.
6. Serve latkes warm with yogurt and fresh herbs.
MASHA DAVYDOVA/ ROOST BOOKS/ PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE