RAIN FOREST FRIENDS
Canada’s coastal rainforest is the habitat of pretty cool species! Can you link the animal on the left to a fun fact about them?
1. I spend most of my life in saltwater, but I am born in freshwater and migrate all the way back to it at the end of my life to mate.
2. I need the many wetlands of the rainforest to lay my eggs, but I spend most of my time climbing in the plants around me where I can hide.
3. Many of my species living elsewhere in Canada fly south for the winter. I stick around the rainforest all year long.
4. I nest in lonely trees surrounded by bogs so that predators don’t reach my nest. There I can also find a lot of tasty snakes and mice to eat.
5. I seem pretty defenseless, but beware! The slime I produce makes me hard to eat.
6. The coastal rainforest is the place to be if you want to see me in white fur! Then I’m called “Kermode”.
7. I spend my winters in the sheltered areas of the coast, but during the summer, you’re more likely to see me floating around in the rainforest’s small rivers.
8. Others of my species don’t normally do this, but I like to eat fish! Mmmm, tasty salmon!
9. I like to nest in very old or dead trees, and mysmall size enables me to find shelter in cavities abandoned by other birds.
I Pacific Chorus Frog
C Northern Saw-whet Owl
A Bald Eagle
H Banana Slug
E Coho Salmon
D Harlequin Duck
B Black Bear
G Grey Wolf
F Sandhill Crane