Windsor Star

O.J. back in court facing life sentence

- TH DAILY TELEGRAPH LAS VEGAS

O.J. Simpson went on trial on Monday for kidnapping and armed robbery in a case that could end with him being jailed for life 13 years after he was acquitted of murdering his former wife.

The 61-year-old ex-American football star and actor, whose televised appearance­s in America’s trial of the century captivated the country, allegedly robbed two sports memorabili­a collectors in a Las Vegas hotel last year. He is accused of conducting the raid with five men, four of whom have struck plea deals for reduced sentences in return for testifying against Simpson and his one remaining co-defendant, Clarence Stewart.

Dressed in a light grey suit and tie, Simpson stared ahead during the prosecutio­n’s opening statement, blinking, occasional­ly shaking his head, puffing his cheeks or muttering.

He and Stewart face 12 charges, including robbery and assault with a deadly weapon and kidnapping. Both have pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Christophe­r Owens, the prosecutor, said the evidence would expose the “true face” of Simpson, “not necessaril­y the one he tries to put out to the world,” and his pattern of “arrogance coupled with hypocrisy.”

He alleged that the seeds of “what was going to be a sting” were sewn in the civil judgment, in 1997, against Simpson, which found him liable for the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson, his ex-wife, and Ronald Goldman. He was ordered to pay their families $33.5 million — which he has refused to do.

Simpson, Owens said, had mastermind­ed a plot to use force to get back items of memorabili­a, some of which were autographe­d by him, that he claimed were rightfully his.

 ??  ?? O.J. Simpson
O.J. Simpson

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada