Windsor Star

Vet settles $400,000 lawsuit

-

OTTAWA Saying he is close to closing a “disturbing chapter” in his life, veteran Sean Bruyea has settled his $400,000 lawsuit against the federal government over abuse of his personal and financial files.

Bruyea made the announceme­nt Thursday but, as per tradition, said the terms of the settlement are confidenti­al.

“My wife and I are relieved that after five years of despair, we have taken back ownership of our lives,” Bruyea said in a statement.

“We are so grateful and humbled by all the support we received from Canadians across the country. We are also truly thankful for the steadfast belief of the media and Canadians in my right to exercise freedom of expression as an advocate for veterans and improved government.”

The out-of-court settlement comes after Bruyea accepted a rare government apology for the abuse of his personal medical and financial files by officials in the Veterans Affairs Department.

“It’s a sincere apology, not just for me, but I see it for all Canadians,” Bruyea said at the time.

Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn issued the apology in a news release and on the floor of the House of Commons. He later called Bruyea personally and faxed him a handwritte­n version.

Canada’s privacy commission­er ruled there had been an “alarming” disseminat­ion of the 46-year-old retired air force intelligen­ce officer’s files, including psychiatri­c reports sent to cabinet ministers by Veterans Affairs officials.

 ??  ?? Sean Bruyea
Sean Bruyea

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada