Winnipeg Free Press - - REMEMBER - KEITH DOUCETTE

HAL­I­FAX — Mo­ments be­fore the ar­mistice end­ing the First World War took ef­fect on Nov. 11, 1918, a sniper’s bul­let sliced the morn­ing air.

It struck a Cana­dian sol­dier in the chest as he emerged from the door­way of a house in a small Bel­gian vil­lage. Pte. Ge­orge Lawrence Price died min­utes later at 10:58 a.m. — a mere two min­utes be­fore hos­til­i­ties ceased.

He be­came the last British Em­pire sol­dier to die in a war that claimed mil­lions of lives, in­clud­ing nearly

67,000 Cana­di­ans and New­found­lan­ders.

It’s un­clear whether the 25-yearold was aware the war was so close to be­ing over when he and five other mem­bers of A Com­pany, the 28th Bat­tal­ion of the Saskatchewan North West Reg­i­ment, de­cided on their own to search a se­ries of houses for Ger­mans in Ville-Sur-Haine, east of Mons.

“They had heard ru­mours for months that maybe the war was go­ing to come to an end, but if you are a sol­dier on the front lines, you tend to take that stuff with a grain of salt,” said Ken Hynes, cu­ra­tor of the Army Mu­seum Hal­i­fax Ci­tadel.

“So Ge­orge was do­ing his job as he saw it.”

Price was posthu­mously awarded the British War Medal and the Vic­tory Medal.

He is in­terred in a ceme­tery in Bel­gium not far from the war’s first British Em­pire ca­su­alty, Pte. John Parr of the 4th Bat­tal­ion Mid­dle­sex Reg­i­ment.

Price’s story has re­mained in­grained in the lore of suc­ceed­ing gen­er­a­tions of his sur­viv­ing fam­ily, ac­cord­ing to his niece, Bev­erly McLean, of Kentville, N.S.

“My mom was his sec­ond youngest sis­ter and from the time I was a lit­tle girl, that’s all I heard was about Un­cle Ge­orge,” McLean said fol­low­ing the re­cent pre­mière in Hal­i­fax of a short doc­u­men­tary film about Price.

“My mom just wor­shipped him and she named her son Ge­orge af­ter Un­cle Ge­orge.”

Price, a na­tive of Fal­mouth, now Port Wil­liams, N.S., was work­ing as a labourer in Moose Jaw, Sask., when he was con­scripted on Oct. 15, 1917.

He fought in the Bat­tle of Amiens, the Bat­tle of Cam­brai and the Pur­suit to Mons, and was gassed in the Canaldu-Nord area on Sept. 8, 1918.

Upon his dis­charge from hos­pi­tal, he re­turned to his unit on Sept. 26 and was on the line in Canal-du-Cen­tre when he took part in the fi­nal ac­tion that led to his death.

Ac­cord­ing to unit records, Price and his com­rades crossed the canal to check on houses that ap­peared to be the site of a Ger­man ma­chine-gun post. They rushed one house and found only the owner and his fam­ily af­ter the Ger­mans ran out the back door.

A sec­ond house was checked, and as Price stepped back into the street he sud­denly slumped into the arms of Pte. Art Good­mur­phy. He was dragged back into the house where at­tempts to save him proved fu­tile.

Ac­cord­ing to an eye­wit­ness ac­count by Good­mur­phy in an in­ter­view con­ducted af­ter the war, he said that he went back to his com­pany’s po­si­tion and told a ma­jor that Price had been killed.

“Oh jeez did he blow a fuse,” Good­mur­phy re­called. “‘The war is over, the war is over,’ (the ma­jor) said. I said, ‘Well I can’t help that.’”

Good­mur­phy also re­ported the ma­jor as say­ing “What the hell did you go across there for? We had no or­ders to go across there.”

But Good­mur­phy’s ac­count noted the re­con­nais­sance party “never even thought about the war be­ing over then,” adding that “we didn’t al­ways get or­ders to do ev­ery­thing that we did.”


Pte. Ge­orge Lawrence Price, of what is now Port Wil­liams, N.S., died in 1918 in the Bel­gian vil­lage of Ville-sur-Haine.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.