Loblaw debuts fee-based customer loyalty program
FOR $99 a year, customers can subscribe to a loyalty program with advantages like free “click and collect” grocery shopping at Loblaw stores, including Superstore.
Loblaw rolled out its new subscription plan on Friday, designed after the successful Amazon Prime program.
The subscription program was introduced last year as an invitation-only offer of rewards and e-commerce benefits to select PC Optimum members who were also PC Financial MasterCard cardholders.
The response surprised Loblaw —
25,000 people took out subscriptions — and it has now opened the program to all 16 million members who use PC Optimum, its free rewards program.
Members can either subscribe for
$9.99 per month or $99 annually. Services offered to subscribers include:
● Free PC Express e-commerce grocery pickup (worth up to $260 annually for a weekly shopper).
● Free shipping from shoppersdrugmart.ca and joefresh.com (worth up to
$92 annually for a monthly shopper).
● An extra 20 per cent back in PC Optimum points on all brands of baby diapers and formula.
● An extra 20 per cent back in PC Optimum points on all purchases of PC Organics products, PC Black Label Collection products, Joe Fresh products including those from joefresh.com, and luxury beauty items purchased online at shoppersdrugmart. ca.
● A surprise home-delivered box of “our favourite curated President’s Choice items.”
● A $99 travel credit annually, for eligible PC travel services bookings.
“This launch is a big opportunity for our most loyal customers, as the more they use the subscription the more they will save and earn,” Loblaw president Sarah Davis said in a prepared statement.
“PC Optimum loyalty points are already in the wallet of 16 million Canadians, and this is a new opportunity for members who want to take their loyalty benefits to the next level.”
Over the last year, initial PC Insiders members have on average received benefits that are more than twice the value of the subscription costs, with some earning many times the price, the company said.
The company used feedback from initial members to evolve program offers, tailoring its rewards.
It expects the program will continue to evolve and grow.
Loblaw’s new customer-loyalty program is open to all 16 million PC Optimum cardholders.