Conceived amid the centennial celebrations of colonial-era Singapore, the Fullerton Building opened in 1928, flaunting British imperialist confidence in grand neoclassical style with fluted Doric colonnades and high-ceilinged verandas. It was the new home of the General Post Office and a slew of government departments, while the upper stories housed the exclusive Singapore Club—a playground for the ruling elite and the hideout of Governor Sir Shenton Thomas during the Japanese invasion in World War II. In this photo, taken just three years after independence when the city-state was in the nascent stages of its miraculous transformation, the structure remains an imposing presence on the Singapore skyline. But change—as evinced by the public housing estates in the far background—was already afoot. By the time the General Post Office moved out in 1996 to make way for the building’s conversion into The Fullerton Hotel, the bumboats had all but disappeared from the neighboring Singapore River and reclamation had turned the offshore waters into a large tract of land ripe for development. Now a declared National Monument, the 90-year-old landmark is the proud focus of a heritage precinct on Marina Bay.