First local transportation in colonial Havana
When San Cristobal de La Habana village was founded around Carenas port, back in 1519, horse and cart was the only means of transportation. The first calashes imported from England were seen in Havana in the late 1700 and early 1800. Those were the only vehicles in Havana at the time. Those calashes were joined by two-wheeled open carriages in1820. These were the first “taxis” in Havana, since they were usually rented for trips. Passengers used to pay two pesos to be driven from Cerro to Havana andvice versa. In 1836,those 2-wheeled open carriages were also rented. As for 1840, such powerful figures as the General Captain and the Bishop were traveling in cars. However, there was a new passenger transportation vehicle covering the Regla-Guanabacoa route since 1839: the bus, which came to stay.