The former Santa María del Puerto del Príncipe was founded on February 2, 1514 in an area of the northern coast near Nuevitas, and later in 1528 it was relocated in its current site. It has one of the best preserved Historical Centers of Cuba, the reason why in 2008 it was declared by UNESCO a World Heritage Site. Characterized by a complex layout of streets and a wide system of squares and numerous ancient churches, it has a great historical-cultural tradition as the birthplace of prominent intellectuals and patriots.
Capital: Camagüey Extension: 15 615 sq. km Municipalities: Camagüey, Esmeralda, Nuevitas, Guáimaro, Santa Cruz del Sur, Florida, Sierra de Cubitas, Minas, Sibanicú, Najasa, Vertientes, Jimaguayú and Carlos Manuel de Céspedes. Denonym: camagüeyano/a Limits: it limits to the north with the Old Channel of Bahamas, to the east with the province of Las Tunas, to the south with the Caribbean Sea, and to the west with the province of Ciego de Ávila. Access: by air it can be accessed through the “Ignacio Agramonte” International Airport, while by land the access is through the national road network. There is an aerodrome in operation in Santa Lucía capable of handling medium and small aircraft.
PLACES OF INTEREST 1 PARQUE AGRAMONTE (PARK)
Salvador Cisneros Betancourt, Independencia, Martí and Luaces streets
It is an attractive square that has in its center the Monumento al Mayor General Ignacio Agramonte, a realistic bronze life-size statue that represents the hero of the independence of Cuba on horseback and machete in hand.
2 CATEDRAL DE NUESTRA SEÑORA DE CANDELARIA (CATHEDRAL)
Tel 032 29 4965
Located on the southern side of the plaza, it was built in 1864 over the remains of its predecessor that had been built in 1530. In 1688, the pirate Henry Morgan locked up the nobility of the city in the church and once they revealed the hiding place of their riches he destroyed it.