Minister orders probe of police over assault involving prominent businessman Akacan and his bodyguards
AN INVESTIGATION has been ordered into events following the alleged assault of two men in a Girne restaurant by prominent TRNC businessman Bulut Akacan and his bodyguards.
Interior Minister Ayşegül Baybars called for the probe to be carried out urgently to establish if police action after the incident had been appropriate, in a letter she sent to the Attorney-General and chief of police on Wednesday.
Akacan and two of his bodyguards have been charged with serious assault and causing damage in the restaurant following a dispute over money, it was reported.
After being remanded in custody Akacan was taken to hospital complaining of chest pains, and was admitted to the private Dr Suat Günsel Hospital. He was later transferred to the state hospital in Lefkoşa.
In a statement issued fol- lowing receipt of the minister’s letter, the General Directorate of Police said the alleged assaults were still under investigation and rejected suggestions that the team of officers involved had been changed.
The statement went on to say that an officer would be specifically instructed to look into the issue of Akacan being taken first to Girne State Hospital before his transfer to the private Dr Suat Gunsel Hospital. As soon as it was learned at a senior level that Akacan was in a private facility, his police escort was ordered to remove him and take him to the Cardiology Unit at Lefkoşa State Hospital, where he was kept under observation.
The assaults were said to have involved Akacan and two of his bodyguards, Orçun Özorçun and Vasif Kurbanov, who were said to have become involved in a fight with Erhan Başay, who was sitting in the restaurant with Zeki Asımoğlu and Hüseyin Soyel. Mr Asımoğlu was said to have intervened to stop the fighting, and been severely beaten, suffering a brain haemorrhage and ending up in intensive care at Lefkoşa State Hospital.
Girne District Court was told on Tuesday when the three defendants appeared that police had security camera footage that clearly showed the fighting.
A request for bail was refused by Judge Meltem Dündar, who ordered that they be further remanded in custody for three days.
Bulut Akacan (right) appeared at Girne District Court on Tuesday