SAFETY ON RIVERS AND DAMS
1. Tell someone where you are going, when you expect to return, and where to call if you don’t.
2.NEVER BOAT ALONE. Be sure your whites water/boating skills and experience is equal to the river and the conditions.
3. Wear a properly fitted Personal Flotation Device (PFD) at all times when you are in or near the river. 4. Know your limits of swimmers rescue and self-rescue on white water rivers. Know when and how to swim for an eddy.
5. Be prepared for extremes in weather, especially cold. Know about the dangers of hypothermia and how to deal with it. Know early signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and dehydration in hot weather.
6. Reduce threat of injury by wearing protective footwear and proper clothing.
7. Carry a first aid kit and know how to use it. Learn or review medical aid responsibilities and CPR.