12 civilians killed in jihadist attack in Burkina Faso
BURKINA FASO - The west African country declared a state of emergency in several provinces at the end of last year and last Thursday replaced its army chief as it struggled to put a stop to a spate of such attacks. In the latest violence, gunmen attacked a village market in broad daylight, the security ministry said in a statement issued. “Around 30 armed individuals perpetrated… a terrorist attack in the village of Gasseliki,” it said, giving a toll of 12 dead and two wounded. “A barn, a cart and six shops were also set alight,” it added.A local source told AFP that the attackers “ransacked stores and opened fire on people who had gathered for the weekly market.” Jihadist attacks began in northern Burkina Faso in 2015 but then spread to the east, near the border with Togo and Benin.