4 People Killed, 200 Houses Damaged in 6.9 Strong Quake
A tsunami warning after the quake, recorded by US monitors as being magnitude 6.9, was later cancelled.
Head of Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Doni Monardo said on Saturday
that Friday’s strong earthquake had killed 4 people and damaged around 200 houses in the country’s affected areas.
The 6.9-magnitude quake hit at 7:03 p.m. local time (1203 GMT), with the epicentre at 7.54 degrees south latitude and 104.58 degrees east longitude at a depth of 10 km. The epicentre was located 147 km southwest of Sumur District in Banten province’s Pandeglang regency.
“We will continue to monitor the damages caused by the earthquake on the hourly basis. At least 200 houses were damaged and four people killed so far in the quake,” Doni was quoted as saying by local media while visiting the affected areas.
He said that those residents evacuated to shelters were returning to their homes. Indonesian authorities have scaled down Friday’s quake to 6.9 magnitude from the initial 7.4 magnitude.
A man examines his house damaged after an earthquake hit in Pandeglang, Banten province, Indonesia, on August 3, 2019.