Bassins à flot
A neighbourhood embedded in Bordeaux’s naval past. Refineries, shipyards, wet and dry docks replaced vineyards and marshes in the 19th century. Today, La Cité du Vin and the impressive Jacques Chaban-delmas bridge are located in an district that is currently being redeveloped by the architect Nicolas Michelin.
1 PONT JACQUES CHABAN-DELMAS
A work of true architectural prowess. The Jacques Chabandelmas Bridge is also a contemporary technical feat that brings a modern touch to the urban planning of the city. Its long flowing lines integrate into the landscape perfectly. With a height of 77 metres, it stands out as the highest lift bridge in Europe! As night falls it lights up the ‘Port of the Moon’ to the delight of all photographers. The pylons are lit in blue at high tide and green at low tide. We suggest you take a look at the bridge during a night stroll on the waterfront. Quai de Bacalan - B > La Cité du Vin
2 CAP SCIENCES
Science Exhibition Centre. ‘Cap Sciences’ is the ideal spot for the curious of all ages who are looking for scientific, cultural and fun outings! This interactive and educational exhibition centre is entirely dedicated to science and offers events, conferences and tours. At the Café des Sciences, you can relax and admire the stunning views of the Port of the Moon from the spectacular suspended terrace.
• Mummies Don’t Lie > until 5 March 2017 Take a trip through the ages and across the continents to meet the mummies and find out how they have illuminated history with their hidden truths!
• Luminopolis > 3 June 2017 to February 2018 Welcome to Luminopolis. Solve puzzles and delve into the city’s mysteries in order to escape! You will need to use every trick in the book to get out of this ‘escape room’. Hangar 20 - Quai de Bacalan - B > La Cité du Vin +33 (0)5 56 01 07 07 - www.cap-sciences.net
3 LA CITE DU VIN
2 a.m to 6 p.m from Tuesdays to Fridays 2 a.m to 7 p.m on weekends Open on Mondays on holidays €8 / €5€. 5€ with the Citypass All set within an evocative architectural design, “La Cité du Vin” is a unique cultural facility that offers a different view of wine, across the world, across the ages, across all cultures and all civilizations. The permanent installation is a self-guided tour, punctuated by 20 themed spaces explaining the culture of wine in an immersive, sensorial setting, with the final phase leading you to the panoramic viewpoint for a tasting of worldwide wines. In addition to all this, the ‘Cité’ also boasts a panoramic restaurant, a wine bar, temporary exhibitions, a boutique, tasting workshops and conferences . Finally, there is an information desk which proposes ways for you to continue your discovery of the vineyards of Bordeaux.
• Bistrot! From Baudelaire to Picasso > from 03.17 to 06.21.2017 A hundred works to highlight the essential role of cafés and bistros, from the end of the 18th century to the present day.
• The vineyard of Georgia > Summer 2017 134-150 quai de Bacalan - B, Batcub > La Cité du Vin +33 (0)5 56 16 20 20 - www.laciteduvin.com From 04.01 to 11.05 : daily from 9:30 a.m to 7 p.m (7:30 p.m on July and August) From 11.06 to 03.31 : 10 a.m to 7 p.m. Closed on Mondays €20 / €16. Free entry with the Citypass before 12 p.m. (entrance after 12pm costs €5 more).
RIVER SHUTTLE - BAT3
La Cité du Vin
An integral part of the Bordeaux Métropole (Greater Bordeaux Area), the river shuttle boat is accessible from five landing stages situated in Bordeaux and Lormont. A new means of transport allowing travel between the riverbanks offering unique views of the waterfront, the Jacques Chabandelmas Bridge and La Cité du Vin Wine Museum. La Cité du Vin - B > La Cité du Vin
www.infotbm.com/ligne/batcub €1,50 – €2 on board
4 LES VIVRES DE L’ART
A cutting-edge venue restored by the sculptor Jean Francois Buisson. This former French navy provisions warehouse from the 18th century has found a new purpose; it now serves as an artists’ residence, an exhibition hall, and an artistic venue (concerts, exhibitions etc.). 4 rue Achard - B > Rue Achard +33 (0)5 56 37 96 04 lesvivresdelart.org 10 a.m to 6 p.m from Mondays to Fridays
5 LE GARAGE MODERNE
The ‘Garage Moderne’ is an atypical space, serving as a community workshop for the mechanical repair of vehicles while at the same time hosting cultural events. Rue Notre Dame - B > Rue Achard 9 a.m to 12 p.m / 2 p.m to 6 p.m from Mondays to Fridays
6 SUBMARINE BASE
One of five bases built by the Germans on the Atlantic coast to house submarine fleets during World War II. This huge bunker (1941-1943), which is divided into eleven cells linked by an interior corridor, has been converted into an underground cultural venue.
• Carte blanche to Romain Tardy > from 23.03 to 21.05.2017 An exhibition that evokes, through videomapping, current issues such as the relationship with reality to computer imagery and the societal changes induced.
• Daniel Firman - Something strange happened here - > from 15.06 to 27.08.2017 A language and movement work related to the stunning architecture of the submarine base. A monumental hall will echo a series of luminous installations.
• Yannick Lavigne - Flights > from 19.09 to 15.10.2017 The urban changes of the metropolis through video-projection and aerial photographs. Boulevard Alfred Daney - 9 > Latule +33 (0)5 56 11 11 50 - www.bordeaux.fr 1:30 p.m to 7 p.m from Tuesdays to Sundays during exhibitions Entry fee
The best of the Bordeaux club scene is «aux Bassins», or in other words, in the rapidly changing neighbourhood of the former wet docks. The clubs are located in old warehouses or on board barges: La Dame, Le Deck, or the I.boat, each with its own style! Bassin à flot n°1 - Quai Armand Lalande - B > La Cité du Vin
8 FRAC AQUITAINE
Regional Fund for Contemporary Art From its creation in 1983, the Regional Fund for Contemporary Art of Aquitaine (FRAC) has benefited from its proximity to the CAPC Museum, already prominent in the international arena. Today it hosts one of the largest collections in France (Christian Boltanski, Gilbert & George, Jeff Koons, Richard Long...). Hangar G2 - Quai Armand Lalande - B > La Cité du Vin +33 (0)5 56 24 71 36 www.frac-aquitaine.net 10 a.m to 6 p.m from Mondays to Fridays 2:30 p.m to 6:30 p.m on Sundays Free entry
Street-art, Bassin à flot n°2