Echoes & Project Update
1. Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Union Urban Development Minister-
Making urban areas more livable, by new initiatives, to make them engines of economic growth. Like building smart cities, 100 smart cities. The plans are ready, contours have been worked out. Cabinet has approved it. Consultation with all stakeholders is over. Any day, it will be launched. We are waiting for the launching day.
2. Shri. Devendra Fadnavis, Maharashtra Chief Minister
We plan to set up jewellery and knowledge smart city in the state to promote the growth of the gems and jewellery sector. I would request Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) to provide suitable place for the said project, which will have a dedicated zone for manufacturing and related activities.
3. Shri. Arun Jaitley, Finance Minister
- As the fruits of development reach an increasingly large number of people, the pace of migration from the rural areas to the cities is increasing … Unless, new cities are developed to accommodate the burgeoning number of people, the existing cities would soon become unliveable. The Prime Minister has a vision of developing 100 smart cities, as satellite towns of larger cities and by modernising the existing mid-sized cities.
4. Nitin Gadkari, Union minister of road transport, highways and shipping-
We are converting 12 major ports into smart cities. This is not part of the 100 smart cities. I am not asking for any money from the government for this. I have developed a model that will utilise the money available with ports. These cities will have separate industrial and residential zones. We have asked a Singapore government planning authority to devise the overall plan.